Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which one ?

Which one ?

Hello all i am looking at two rifles which one would you go with here they are thanks.

Remington Model 700 SPS 300 WSM
    Elite 4200 4-16 x50 scope, hard case.
    Brand new
    $1100

Tikka T3 Stainless with synthetic stock in 30 06 for trade or sale. It has a Bushnell 3200 Elite Rainguard 3-9 x 40mm scope with adjustable objective mounted with Leupold mounts and rings. Has a Limbsaver recoil pad installed. Comes with an extra 3 shot clip and an extra 5 shot clip. $1100.00.

2. Site Sponsor

Middle to upper, lower fraser valley mountain

Re: Which one ?

if the Tikka is new then change the scope and buy it. The price you posted is retail pricing..........
    "The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

I'm a vegetarian. I eat things that eat vegetables..........

The t3 is used and the 700 has fired 5 rounds these are both private deals in BC.

Shoot them both then decide, no one can tell you what gun is best for you, mostly it's a personal descision. Being able to shoot them is a super plus!

Well, it depends on what is important to you in a hunting rig, but for me...neither.

Assuming the Remington is a private deal, you are paying almost full retail price for it. The same rifle and scope at WSS would be $1160 before tax and shipping, but you are giving up any kind of service or warrenty if there is a problem with the rifle or scope. If I was going to pay that much for essentialy a used gun I would rather pay a few bucks more and know I can return it if there is a problem. Plus the scope on that is good, but if you don't need the larger objective and the higher magnification, why pay extra for it? The same scope in 2.5-10 is almost $200 cheaper.

As for the Tikka, the rifle and scope new are $980 before tax & shipping. Doesn't seem like much of a deal to me.

Keep looking, you can do better than either of these.
    Last edited by JeffR; 08-20-2008 at 09:55 PM.

Thanks that is great info i think i will keep looking thanks for taking the time to respond.

P M Sent with info

Wholesale Sports is selling the Tikka T3 Lite (blued not SS) for $599. what a smooth action!

on top of that, if you check this comparative list for the quality of scopes out there, you'll see that Sightron S1's are a 3 star scope. they can be had for significantly lower prices then either the Bushnell 3200 or the Burris Fullfield II at Frontier Firearms & Taxidermy for $170. that's the pricing for the lower ended Banner & Legend, even a couple of the Mueller scopes out there. I do question the placement of the Leupold Rifleman tho...while I have never used one or even looked through one, considering their price premium, one would think they're of significant more quality then a 2 star item.

anyhow, said list:
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_riflescopes.htm

and you can check out Frontier here (just copy n paste): frontiertaxidermy.com

neither of the mentioned rifles in post 1 would catch my eye

I'd offer him $550 for the SPS 300WSM and tell him he can keep the Bushnell & the case.....
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I would say the rifleman got a generous two but I cant beieve the VX-II got a four star rateing, i think that is a little generous if you ask me. There is no way that the VX_II is four star glass.

I am sure if the Leupolds were not given the home field advantage there would be grown men trowing temper tantrums all over NA as we speak.

as for the rifles I would say keep looking as i am pretty sure you could find new that would match almost match that and give you a warrenty.