Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to hunt rabbits. Which guns better?

Wanting to hunt rabbits. Which guns better?

I want to hunt rabbits, but I don't have the skills yet to tell the differences easily as pictures on the internet don't do a living rabbit justice when it comes to spotting the rabbits you can hunt so if someone is willing to help me learn the differences please let me know. I know a place 30 minutes away from Kamloops where you can hunt them if it's the right rabbit.

I'm also wondering which is better a .22 or a shotgun? Also which round for each firearm works best? I have Yellow Jacket for my .22 would that be too much or should I use something different. The shot gun would be a single barrel 12 gage full choke most likely. I would think something like #7 shot would work best or would I need something heavier? The rabbits I've seen have all been under 50 Yards away.

Any help either opinion or actual hands on help would be much appreciated. I've had rabbit before and it is a meat I'd like very much to try in other recipes.

C.K
    Who Needs A Gun Ship When You Have A Pointy Stick.
    2/3 Of The Earth Is Water. Get A Boat.

South Paw Shooter and PROUD OF IT!
    South Paws of The World Unite For A Better Selections of GUNS.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wanting to hunt rabbits. Which guns better?

I've not hunted lots of rabbits, but the ones I have I used my .22 I'd have to guess the range on a good .22 would be further than a shotty??
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Snowshoe hares opened so you're good to go with that; both Eastern cottontail and European rabbit (assuming they're there) are schedule C so you can take as many as you want. Yeah you're pretty much good to go for anything with a couple of long ears

Providing it's a close-range shot (you say they are under 50 yards), likely around 25 yards, a more open choke like IC or LM would serve you well, using #5's. A .22 would be more difficult if they're not sitting still for ya, but if it's accurate enough at under 50 yards, it's good too. Use premium hunting ammo like Velocitors or Stingers.

Please PM me with some info on where this is, I'd like some rabbit stew as well Wouldn't mind hunting with ya either
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

i've nailed my first snow shoe hare this weekend, with my 12ga #5 shot at about 30yds. Shot high, and had 1 shot hit the head and one hit the neck and one hit the rib area. Very fun!

Hint. Hunt early mornings or late afternoons, but you probably know this..

Democratic People's Republic of Canuckistan

12 gauge number 6 is what I use. stomp every friggin bush you see that look like prime bugs bunny habitat. They will hide and sit there til your long gone. Unless your hunting with a dog sometimes you gotta flush em yourself. Even the smallest lump of dirt and branches can hide a rabbit.

You really need to know what kind of "rabbit" it is first to answer the question.

Cottontails are quick darting critters that only give you a brief shot, grouse on the ground, so a shotgun is the best choice with 7 1/2 or larger, gauge whatever you feel comfy with.

Snowshoes can be like cottontails in the bush or they can be a still hunted. So if you are kickin them up, shotgun, if you are still hunting .22, BUT! if you are hunting with others use the shotgun, much much much safer!

Jacks (European Hare) usually are rifle quarry and usually centerfire .22's, spot them in fields and make the shot.

Cottontail tastes just like chicken thigh meat unless they've been eating something strong. Snowshoes are good until they get into the evergreens (winter) but are stronger then cottontails. I've only eaten a few jacks and they where a little tougher then cottontails, and slightly stronger but still quite tastey.

In general rabbits like cover, lots of cover and you "kick" them out by kicking or stomping on the brush, or through thick cover. They can bust out and you never see or hear them, look for natural travel lanes ahead of time as often they head in known directions. 2 or 3 guys working cover is way more productive then solo, and a dog that holds tight is an asset. Doesn't need to be a hound, it's just another critter to scare up the rabbits.

If you get one, make sure not to spil the bladder or guts and if you do wash it off really quick! Also, strip all the fat off as there are glands in the fat that can taint the meat.

I grew up in SOuthern Ontario and chasing Cottontails at christmas is definetly one of the things I miss..

Best of luck,

Ian

Can someone suggest a rabbit/hare populated area that's accessible within 2-3 hours of L. Mainland? Want to bag one but not much ideas on where to go...
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

Democratic People's Republic of Canuckistan

Come to Kelowna ... hundreds of em down enterprise ... don't even need a gun lol just bring a stick. You could literally never miss a shot with a .22 that's how close you can get to em.

As for actual hunting ... no clue where to go. srry

Quote Originally Posted by lucky07 View Post
    Come to Kelowna ... hundreds of em down enterprise ... don't even need a gun lol just bring a stick. You could literally never miss a shot with a .22 that's how close you can get to em.

As for actual hunting ... no clue where to go. srry
    Get a croquet mallet and a peddle bike and run the cute but soon to be dead bunnies down they'd never hear you coming. JK. I've almost took out a mullie with the handle bars of my Mountain bike a few years ago and even talked to them as I passed them. The Kelowna branch of hunters need to do something about all those rabbits. Catch and release won't work. Catch and eat would
    Who Needs A Gun Ship When You Have A Pointy Stick.
    2/3 Of The Earth Is Water. Get A Boat.

South Paw Shooter and PROUD OF IT!
    South Paws of The World Unite For A Better Selections of GUNS.

rishu i have seen lots of rabbits on the hurley river road between pemberton and gold bridge i just dont know how many there are up there this year