Thread: Hunting in US?

Hunting in US?

Anyone here ever hunt across the border in Washington? What are the regulations and challenges crossing the border? I have family that have land just across the border in an area with some nice trails and I thought it might be a good location to try out.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting in US?

There is no problem at all. Obtain a WA state hunting licence first. Get a form 6 from the ATF (may be downloadable from their site). Complete the form with your personal & gun info that you will be using in WA. Send it along with a copy of your WA hunting licence to the ATF and wait for import approval. If you hve not have had any felony convictions or prohibitions from weapons, dishonerable discharges etc. in either country, you should be good to go.
    THE FEW THE PROUD, SEMPER FI

You can buy out of state WA licenses over the counter and borrow a firearm from someone and save yourself the ATF hassles. I use to do it a lot back in the 90's. You can't seem to bring deer carcasses back across
    without a ag inspection so I would get it processed in WA and then bring it up.
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life

Quote Originally Posted by David Heitsman View Post
    You can buy out of state WA licenses over the counter and borrow a firearm from someone and save yourself the ATF hassles. I use to do it a lot back in the 90's. You can't seem to bring deer carcasses back across
    without a ag inspection so I would get it processed in WA and then bring it up.
    I was able to do same thing when I was invited to night hunt Yotes on Whidbey Island back in the 80's. Times have changed though so I would be checking into the current requirements.

go Black Powder get a inline and just go down and hunt, I did it all the time when I was In Niagara Falls, hunted New York, PA, Idaho, West Virginia.

Have fun
    When the sh*t hit's the fan ... You need a Redneck Man ......

Quote Originally Posted by trapperdan2061 View Post
    go Black Powder get a inline and just go down and hunt, I did it all the time when I was In Niagara Falls, hunted New York, PA, Idaho, West Virginia.

Have fun
    I take it that was before 9/11. Since then you need the form from the ATF. The rule has been in effect for years before that but never enforced until 9/11, Just like we cant possess ammo or scopes down there either as they are considered implements of war.

BHB

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    I take it that was before 9/11. Since then you need the form from the ATF. The rule has been in effect for years before that but never enforced until 9/11, Just like we cant possess ammo or scopes down there either as they are considered implements of war.

BHB
    Muzzleloaders are not considered a firearm in the US.
    THE FEW THE PROUD, SEMPER FI

Don't get caught with a loaded and capped muzzleloader in or on your vehicle or you'll find out that they are considered a firearm in Washington State. Look in the Big Game regulations on page 67 and read the equipment and hunting methods and you'll note that the muzzleloader is referred to as "a firearm." I don't want to see a Canadian sportsman get charged because of misinformation.
    Why do the ducks come just after I pour my coffee?

Muzzle loader can be loaded but not capped. I have a BK Knight 54 Calibre
    that I used to hunt does with down around Oroville and Palmer Lake in WA.
    I was always a chore to pry the cap off at the end of the day as I didn't want to fire it every evening. I really scored the nipple up as it was a really tight fit.
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life