Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caribou Grouse

Caribou Grouse

Hey there, just wondering do people hunt grouse up in the 100 mile area? Specifically around Sheridan lake? Never hunted these before but would like to use my new mark II 22 for more than just plinking. *Heads up rookie question* how do you clean grouse? Any good grouse hunting tips?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Caribou Grouse

Flip em over on their backs, stand on the outstretched wings, bend over and grab both feet, hang on and stand up. Throw what's in your hand away and pick up the breasts with the wings attached. Clean em up like chicken and have at er. Try not to gut shoot em cuz otherwise they can taste like shite. The white meat grouse, Franklin/Roughed are more mild tasting than the dark ones, Sharp Tails/Blues. You're gonna love it.Cheers
    PS. Hunt FSR's and willow thickets. Check out the conifers for the blues but you gotta be up higher.

Huey...

The method mentioned above works but some also just cut off the head, feet and "ass" of the bird once it is plucked. (much easier than plucking ducks or geese) Then just pull the guts out of the "ass end" and you have the whole carcass resembling a small chicken for lack of a better description. Make sure if you do it this way that you clean the cavity out well though. The above mentioned method with the "step and pull" is generally a bit cleaner for the "cleaner"....."generally".

For some reason I can't open the regs "online" but I believe....not positive but I believe you may have to keep a wing attached for ID until you are home.(haven't hunted grouse in BC but we did have to keep it on in MB) Don't quote me on that for sure.
    Last edited by MB_Boy; 08-01-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Yeah, I didn't mention the wing because the wings stay attached with the step and pull method but you're right. If you are going to bring some home put them in a baggy after they have cooled off really well and leave a wing hanging out of the open end and then close it off with a twist tie. Then leave em on ice until you get home. Good save MB BOY.

You might want to check the regs about shooting them with a rifle as well. To the best of my knowledge it's illegal.
    It's only when you see a mosquito land on your testicles that you realize there are other ways to deal with problems than violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Phreddy View Post
    You might want to check the regs about shooting them with a rifle as well. To the best of my knowledge it's illegal.

Just checked the regs...page 14 says that you can shoot grouse, ptarmigan and turkey with rimfire, so you are good with your 22.
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

Yeah but if you're using a .22 don't go all hairy assed and buy a brick of Yellow Jacket Hyper velosity hollow points. I love the ammo but not for shooting grouse. Go with either .22 long, long rifle or shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Yeah but if you're using a .22 don't go all hairy assed and buy a brick of Yellow Jacket Hyper velosity hollow points. I love the ammo but not for shooting grouse. Go with either .22 long, long rifle or shorts.
    Why not out of curiousity? (Yellow Jacket velocity hollow points)

Just got a mkII myself and i love it. BTW it hates crap winchester ammo. THe best groupings ive got are from Federal 36gr HP. Bulk pack from crappy tire works well. Dont forget to clean the gizzard and heart and eat them to. Tastiest parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    Why not out of curiousity? (Yellow Jacket velocity hollow points)
    It destroys the bird if you hit too low and get the chest.
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...