Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Mouth Curs (Ladner or JD Howard)

Black Mouth Curs (Ladner or JD Howard)

Hi all,

Anyone know of anyone breeding good PURE BMC's closer than, uh, the southern U.S.??? I'd love someone local but honestly I'd consider anyone in western Canada and the northeastern U.S.

I'd like as close as I can get to original Ladner or JD Howard lines, and at this point I'd take either. Thanks!

Jenn

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Black Mouth Curs (Ladner or JD Howard)

For pet or hunting?
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

Thanks for the reply!

I'd never consider a "bred for pets" dog. That's actually a pet peeve of mine because there are SO MANY good pets at the shelter, there's no need to breed more pets. BMC's are working dogs plain and simple, and there's no one who has any business making BMC puppies for anything BUT working. A pet dog (less aptitude for hunting) ends up in a litter is one thing, but the LITTER should be bred for the betterment of the breed. JMO.

That being said, do I hunt? No. I'd be EXTREMELY interested in getting into tracking wounded game for hunters, but my primary reasons for wanting a BMC are for making my lone hikes in bear/cat country a bit safer. I looked at a lot of breeds and BMC's seemed like a nice balance between biddability, workability, and appearance (they're nice lookin' dogs I think).

(Sorry for the long answer! Basically WORKING breeder/litter, but I'd definitely consider a less apt/pet dog FROM that litter if need be.)
    Last edited by Jenn; 08-02-2008 at 01:20 AM.

Out of interest I just googled Black Mouth Cur.

Ol' Yeller himself is for sale out of St John for $200.

also several on baydog dot com, but looks like most are in the south

Info says they need a lot of excercise or can develop behavioral problems, but you probably knew that already.

Good luck

Ol' Yeller?! $200?! Slap a stamp on his butt and stick him in a mailbox, boooooooy howdy!

Yeah as far as the exercise goes, no worries there. I'm used to high drive dogs, and lead a very active lifestyle. Thanks for the heads-up!

Jenn if you are looking for a companion dog for blood trailing you don't need a bmc. I have 1 pup left out of my big gamehunting bred dogs. 1/2 black and tan 1/4 border collie 1/8 golden lab 1/8 germanshepard. This may be a good fit for what your looking for. Both parents are great bear /cat dogs and will track what ever you train them for. If you are interested I would consider selling her to you, although I would prefer her to be hunted. but i see in your other posts you seem to know the importance of keeping active and exercising the dog lots. Send me a pm if you would like a picture.

Jenn;

For bear/cat protection have you considered the Karelian Bear dog?
    They look really cool!

http://www.northernlightswildlife.co..._bear_dogs.htm

Wolfman
    "didn't want the cabin lookin' like it was built by a boyscout with a dull hatchet."

- Dick Proenneke

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    Jenn;

For bear/cat protection have you considered the Karelian Bear dog?
    They look really cool!

http://www.northernlightswildlife.co..._bear_dogs.htm

Wolfman
    Yeah, but I hear not only are they a PITA to live with, they are practically tunnel-visioned when near a bear. I'm great with an e-collar if need be, but my IDEAL dog will have a slightly less independent temperament. Also, not QUITE sure whether this would be the best breed to ultimately use in blood trailing.

I definitely agree they're mighty cool looking! It's definitely a challenge finding all the traits I like in one breed! Another breed I looked at was the Plott, but I think they might not have the protectiveness I was seeking. I think I need a Plott/BMC/Karelian cross.

Get an Airedale, one from hunting stock not the show ring.!!
    "Hunting" is selective harvesting of organically grown, free ranging meat, achieved by placing a good bullet in a vital spot. !!!

I think K1 has a winner with his suggestion.
    a good working stock Airdale would fit the bill nicely.