Thread: i got new guns

i got new guns

i got a 264win mag and a 12g shotgun semiauto what should be the first things i should do to the gun just to make them nice and ready befor i shoot them >?

2. Site Sponsor

Democratic People's Republic of Canuckistan

Re: i got new guns

shoot em' ... then clean em' when your done =)

Clean em first before you shoot them, take the action out of the stock and make sure you dont have pine needles piled up under the barrel or dirt and rust everywhere. Clean er all up, put it back together and have fun.

hey Brambles, check the Hunting & Sporting Arms forum on CGN and look up the thread on breaking in a barrel. if it's new, it may would be good to consider some of the presented methodologies.

if they're used, I'd think like what everyone else said, give them a good cleaning.

thank you guys

Given that you've just bought a .264 Win Mag, the next thing you're going to want to do is start reloading. The ammo isn't overly common, with few loads available, and it isn't the cheapest ammo to buy either. This cartridge is a handloaders cartridge these days, given its relatively small number of users.

If it’s the first guns you ever owned. From your post it sound like it. Read the owners manual until you have memorized it. Take the guns apart and put them back together until it becomes second nature to you. Handle the guns, unloaded of course, and familiarize yourself with the safety features until you can find and manipulate them blindfolded.

Next clean the guns of any excess oil and grease, as recommended in the owners manual. Buy the appropriate ammunition head to the range and have some fun sighting the rife and patterning the shotgun.

Good luck
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"