Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bowhunting for dummies

youngfellla Guest

bowhunting for dummies

Does anyone have any tips or advice for someone who would like to start bowhunting? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: bowhunting for dummies

For set up, go to pro-shops, and talk to them, don't buy a bow until to have looked at 5 or 6, and been to 3 or more shops. Also, look around your area for an archery club, solid instructers, with nothing to gain in a sale can really help you sort through the bull crap that gets slung around.
    Set a limit for yourself, what can you spend? what do you want to spend? etc.

Once you have talked with several shops, and know what you want, buy it, and shoot LOTS!
    www.bowzone.ca this is a sight I frequent, and has alot of info, and knowledable guys.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Make sure you are a good shot 1st and also shot placement is a major factor. You don't want game running around with arrows sticking out of them!(BAD PRESS!) I would not take long shot 25yards would be about it for me. I would make friends with bow hunters in your area threw clubs or groups. If you shoot traditional check out the Traditional Bow Hunters Of B.C. web site you will find some help there I bet. These are a few things I have learned myself as I am a green horn as well.

FullDraw
    Traditional Bowhunters of B.C. (region 2)
    United Bowhunters of B.C. (life time member)
    BCWF
    Chilliwack Fish & Game
    IDPA

You can also get lots of helpful info from the guys at www.davewatson.com click on community. Lots of bowhunters,a couple of top notch professionals shooters and a whole bunch of respectable people. Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Hey Fred , I suggest you go to a 3-d shoot and go around the course with a Compound and a Traditional squad. Don`t be afraid to ask questions and watch out for those Traditional boys as they are "Silver Tongued Doctors"

Next 3-d is aug 19,20,21 at Ridgedale. Ask for me if you wish - Ken Davidson

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

I have been to a couple of 3D shoots but not shot in them.
    You know it flipping well figures that the next local shoot is on a weekend where I ,one, have to attend an auction,and two, have to head for Princeton immediately after.
    When will the next shoot after that be Ken? Fred

Fred the next local 3D after that is Aug 28 at the Semiahmoo fish and Game Club. I'm still waiting to get my scope so i can get it bore sighted.
    FullDraw
    Traditional Bowhunters of B.C. (region 2)
    United Bowhunters of B.C. (life time member)
    BCWF
    Chilliwack Fish & Game
    IDPA

Hey Fred , There is a flat field 3-d in Burnaby on the 18th Sept and I wont be able to attend . Fulldraw and I will make the 28th Aug Semiahmoo shoot , If you wish look me or Fulldraw up.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

As far as I know that day is open. Is the shoot anywhere near to the Hatchery? Fred

338 follow Greybarks advice-- go to a few 3D shoots , either indoor or outdoor , maybe ask somebody if you could " pull " their bow. Much better if you know someone. Whatever you do-- don't go and spend huge dollars without at least trying a few bows and talking to a bunch of people. If your sole objective is hunting you have 2 choices to make -- compound or traditional. You can't make that choice without trying them. Hope you join the enlightened and go bowhunting--- nothing like it !!!!!!!!!! Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills