Thread: A question on Bow string material?

A question on Bow string material?

I'm having a hard time figure out which fast flight material to make my new flemish string out of, There is just to many to choose and not enough
    info on them. My recurve can handle new style material.

So can anyone shed some light on the subject for me. So far I have been looking at 450 plus, dynaflight 97' from BCY. I'd like to get as much speed as I can but with a reasonable durability.

thanks
    Chris
    Cari-Bow Snowbird
    Hoyt GM with TradTech Carbon/Wood Limbs
    2008 Mathews Drenalin
    Ruger Predator 6.5 Creedmoor with Magpul Stock
    1895G .45-70

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: A question on Bow string material?

Check over on archerytalk.com and go to the Traditional Forum. They'll be able to help you there.

I wish I could, but I'm not too familiar with Trad string material(s).

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

I'm running dyna '97 on both my lb and my recurve and have yet to wear one out. The last '97 string I changed was 3 years ago, and only 'cause I wanted a new colour.

RC

I would use either Dyna flight 97 or 8125 for a recurve. 8125 is faster but is a little more noiser than Dyna flight. Also look at D75,D75 thin and Fast Flight Plus from Brownell. I have used D75 thin on recurves bit of a pain to work with works well holds up very well too IMHO
    BC4Bowhunter

well that another couple for the 97', I think I'll pick up a couple of spools and give it a try. Thanks for info, It's to know someone actually keeps track of how old their string is.

Thanks again
    Chris

Now I just have to wait for my new limbs!
    Cari-Bow Snowbird
    Hoyt GM with TradTech Carbon/Wood Limbs
    2008 Mathews Drenalin
    Ruger Predator 6.5 Creedmoor with Magpul Stock
    1895G .45-70

For the extra Stress on your Bow and the 3-5 Feet you might Pick up , Its really not worth it. B50 $10.00 spool, 8125 $50.00 spool ??. There is also a lot that can affect speed in a fast flight . String Mufflers, to thick a string. Like I said you might Gain 3-5 FPS.
    My worst day of Hunting is better than my best day at Work.

You can make a fast-flight string at half the weight and 4 times less stretch then B50. For me there is no comparison. Plus it's so much stronger, you can safely shoot a 50lb recure with 6 strands of the stuff.
    Now if you build up a 14 strand FF string you might get an increase of 5FPS (which is actually pretty damn good), but you will also get a bit less handshock (personal experience) and it will be a bit quieter.
    You also generally get more on a spool because it's thinner.
    The only downside I've found is that it tends to slip out of flemish twists and boyers knots very easily unless you get some really sticky wax on it.
    Cheers,
    Grant