Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good first rifle

Good first rifle

hey I'm not too sure what kind/caliber gun would be the best for my first gun. I was thinking about possible getting a 30-30 or a 30-06. I would mainly be using it for deer hunting and would probalby do some target shooting for fun as well. If you know anything please post. Any help would be good.

thanks
    Last edited by Kid Hunter; 06-26-2008 at 08:15 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Good first rifle

I'm planning on buying a decent .22LR or .223 (if the lady responds to my queiries...she sorta gone silent on me) to be my first rifle, with plans on going up into the .303/.308/.30-06 or maybe even something as big as a .300 Win Mag.

if you go to www.canadiangunnutz.com, ask for membership to the Equipment Exchange group and look through all the used firearm options there...they even just installed a 'rimfire' only forum. rimfires are good because they're so cheap and you can learn to shoot with a low beginning expense.

heres my advice for you. I would recommend not cheaping out on a gun. a good gun can last you a life time. a well priced, good quality gun in my opinion is the Tikka t3 270. that will do deer and most anything else. thats the gun i own and its the best money i have spent for hunting so far. hope that helps

30-30's are fun to shoot not much recoil and are cheaper. A good 30-06 can be your one gun for all if you get a good one that shoots, most do. So either way you can't lose

243 Winchester in a Remington 700 SPS
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I'm in that position myself. I left the army in the early 90s and haven't shot anything since. I'm planning on getting a semi .22 because I figure it's gonna take A LOT of ammo to get back on that bike, lol.
    Not sure about scout sights though.
    Brian
    "Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."
    ~ Dan Quayle

243 or 270
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

How big or old are you? Can you handle a little recoil? 30'06, good caliber hunt anything with it. 270 is ok could certainly hunt deer and moose. But if you want to hunt everything get a 300 win mag! I just love my 300 win mag! Moosin

Our younger son started with a pump action 30-06. Low recoil because of the weight and action type. Lots of choices in ammo from cheap loads for target shooting up to premium loads for hunting in a wide range of bullet weights. He shot everything from Islnd blacktails to moose and bighorn sheep with it.

Buy something simple like a .308. Cheap to shoot and easy in the shoulder. A good shot with a small gun beats a miss with a big one anyday.