Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Keralian Hunting dog

New Keralian Hunting dog

Just purchased a keralian bear dog. I will be recieving her this friday. Any suggestions or tips for hunting training for this dog?

Also, it is a strictly outside dog. We have coyotes on our property so I built a run for the dog about 6.5 feet tall. Any ideas for stopping the coyotes from digging under?
    if not I might just have wait up a night and land an arrow in a couple of 'em
    layed up her in a country state of mind

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Keralian Hunting dog

Sounds like your prepared. I don't think the yotes are any concern, but your dog might dig out. Bury page wire under the gravel and fasten it around the edges. Good luck with your dog, they are a nice looking dog. Be aware that out in the bush they will chase anything that moves. a good leash is in order.

I assume that you researched the breed? I have had the opportunity to work with a couple of these dogs. Being that they are bred for bear hunting they have a insane ability to chase bears, to the point that they turnoff all other senses, including hearing. The handler I worked with had a shock collar that she had to use. He makes a great pet if raised in that manner and can be a very loving dog and very loyal.

Good luck! and have fun.
    Fire up the grill - cuz huntin' ain't catch and release!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sako7mm View Post
    I assume that you researched the breed? I have had the opportunity to work with a couple of these dogs. Being that they are bred for bear hunting they have a insane ability to chase bears, to the point that they turnoff all other senses, including hearing. The handler I worked with had a shock collar that she had to use. He makes a great pet if raised in that manner and can be a very loving dog and very loyal.

Good luck! and have fun.
    I second the above.......great dogs though

How about a picture?

Interesting dog breed for sure. Not sure how well they can fit into anything but a wilderness where your neighbour is 10 miles away

From what I've read on the internet is that they have a huge exercise requirement mulitple times a day , need to be socialized from day one more than most breeds. Hell on bears and maybe anything else they decide to torment.

I hope that you are not under the mistaken belief that they are good for bear hunting here. I assume you have read up in them and understand exactly how they are used for there intended purposes right (Not the propaganda North Americanized whimzy version either) Why would you be worried about yotes?

I like the idea of waiting up for the yotes.
    Go with it!

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Did you buy the pup from the Drinkalls in Toad??

If so give them a call the daughters who raise them are very good with there breed..

But what do I know lb
    But What do I know LB