Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing big healthy dogs

Growing big healthy dogs

Hey all.

I was wondering what you dog owners are feeding your pups?

I have started my Goldie/Chessie on this stuff I got from Tisol called 'Evo'. this stuff has no preservatives, no filler and is made from high end red meat protein. Koda totally loves it and seems to be getting real big and solid as a result. A bit pricey, but worth it I think.

Wolfman
    "didn't want the cabin lookin' like it was built by a boyscout with a dull hatchet."

- Dick Proenneke

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Growing big healthy dogs

I feed my pup Orijen Large Breed Puppy. The vet has said to put him on regular food at around 6 months. Then I will probably switch to Canidae (all life stages).

Here is a link to a great site on got here a while back on different dog foods.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Heres a pic of the little at about 3 months, he's a Kuvasz/ Black and Tan cross

What a BEAUTY he is!!

Better watch out for dog-nappers

Thanks for that rating link by the way. I see my dog food scores high on that!

Wolfman
    "didn't want the cabin lookin' like it was built by a boyscout with a dull hatchet."

- Dick Proenneke

Raw meat for breakfast and kibble for dinner. The meat comes from Surrey meats and is purpose made for dogs.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    Raw meat for breakfast and kibble for dinner. The meat comes from Surrey meats and is purpose made for dogs.
    Steelco;

Do you mean RED meat or chicken? I had my vet recently going into this latest raw chicken thing that's apparently so popular.

Not really gung ho about having raw chicken lying round.

Wolfman

- Dick Proenneke

Wolfman, I used Chicken but the store has lamb and other meats. More specifically the stuff we use is chicken and veg, bone included. It comes in small or large quantities, frozen into easy to handle cubes. We take out on block and thaw overnight. It lasts two days, then we do it all over again. Clean tidy and GONE in minutes!!!!

I'm thinking more and more about adding more red meat too. Lean stuff mind you. I think that meat - real meat in a dog's diet is what nature intended so we should supplement that if we can.

Wolfman

- Dick Proenneke

Well there's a bear hanging in my shed and my Rottie is waiting for the scraps.
    She gets all the scraps and the major bones when I'm fortunate to get an animal.

Wolfman, When you get to know your dog real good you can tell, loves to eat it, clear eyes, great coat, fur loss at appropriate times of the year, spunky, proper weight gain for the type of dog you have. Little tougher to tell when you have a cross for proper weight gain, but Chessies are beauties, broad and tough, try to figure out which your dog takes after most and go from there. Ya got a great mix for size, strength and personality. Hope ya hunt with it or pack it. amazing how they come into there own when they think they are an intregal working part of the family.

Been feeding Marshall Innova puppy until he was 5 months then switched him over to Adult Evo. He's been doing extremely well on it as you can see. It's costing me about $67 every two weeks to feed him this way. I'm hoping by the end of the month to have him totally switched over to a raw diet. It's a little cheaper to feed and better for him.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF