Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cacklers on Dinsdale Farm

Cacklers on Dinsdale Farm

Saw this flock land over on the farm this afternoon while out walking the dogs. Thought they may have been speckle bellies by the sound they were making but just noticed that one of the area bird watchers reported seeing 60 cacklers about 4 days ago in the same area so I'm going to have to go with that as I didn't get a close look at them. First time I've seen any on the island and in such a large number to boot.

Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cacklers on Dinsdale Farm

Nice picture, they tend to stay in larger flocks normally, here we generally see the odd pair or small group but for the most part during the season we'll see a couple flocks of 15-30 and then 2 main flocks of 100-150 each. They are notorious up and down the flyway for being alot harder to decoy then their bigger cousins. We've had flocks of a couple hundred cackling geese circling over head 4 or 5 times and it'll always be the few slightly larger tavernor geese who will drop into the decoys first. For whatever reason the smaller the goose the more wary it is.
    Last edited by Crazy_Farmer; 04-27-2008 at 09:03 PM.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

It was a pretty cool sight to watch and even being out of season they circled a good half dozen times before they decided to set down.

BCWF

I saw a pair of them feeding today. I took some pictures but it was getting dark. I am going to 'hunt' them tomorrow and get some better pictures.

Hooked on quack.

I'm not sure they're cacklers anymore they look like speckle bellies. I'll see if I can post a pic of of the flock landing.

BCWF

Here is a close up of the picture I took it's a bit grainy as the geese were over the fields and I was on the Terminal road a good 600-800 yards away if not further.

Here is a picture I grabbed off of google

Last edited by Marc; 04-29-2008 at 09:34 PM.

BCWF

they look like spec's to me and they sure taste good. The best eating goose there is.

The only problem is I don't think we have an open season for them in BC

BCWF

They are absolutly open to hunting here in the interior !!!

Hmm just looked at that, region 3 has them. I guess they're waiting for region 1 and 2 to have a bigger population maybe?

BCWF