Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bull frogs

Bull frogs

I don't know if bull frogs should be classified as small game or varmints but here goes......has anyone had the fortitude to try frogs legs? I noticed an abundant population in a local pond and got to thinking how much of a nusiance this introduced species has become. I recall that they are either a scheduel B or C animal in the hunting regs and thought they might provide some off season target practice with the BB/pellet gun. Maybe a good way to spend an evening with the 'boys'. The next step would be to cook some up "IF" I could work up the nerve. Do you think they'd "taste like chicken"? Let's hear some comments.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bull frogs

Whole bunches of years ago we waited for the eyes to show above water then put a 22 calibre pellet between them. That was only the Leopard frogs though and we never tried to recover any of them. Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Fly rod with a chunk of red yarn put plenty in the pot when I was a kid, cut the legs off and fry in "real" butter. Don't overcook and they are fantastic!!!

Rod
    I like the fly rod idea.....just yarn, no hook?
    How did you prep them for the pot?

Same questions as Jager! Come on now, you have us curious! Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

use a hook and enough yarn to flutter around and attract some attention but short enough to ensure they take the hook.

kill the beast and cut the back legs off as close to the body as possible, once fried the skin can be pealed off pretty easily.

It takes a good bunch of frogs for a meal but the effort is well worth it.

I worked on a farm in my late teens and as my employer was a non-hunter the fields were loaded with groundhogs. I carried a 22rf on the tractor and got a ton of shooting practice over the summer.

I offered to make a wild "non"game meal for the farmer and a neighbour and they halfheartedly agreed.

After a couple of days of gathering the goodies we sat down to a meal of groundhog stew, roast pigeon, steamed crafish and a big pile of frogs legs. Not one scrap was left at the end of the meal and both farms were opened to hunting that fall.

Cheers
    Rod

Our local club has a bullfrog hunt that happens once a year.
    Its done at nite with frog gigs and headlamps mostly.
    One couple got like 30 bullfrogs last year.
    They have alot of fun doing it.
    When I works, I works hard; when I sits, I sits loose; and when I thinks, I falls asleep.

Rod

Glad to see someone else likes frogs legs!

Once they are cut off the frog, just peel off the skin.

Then you can fry them, or do as the French do, sautee them in butter, add chopped garlic, onion, cook a bit and add some chopped tomaotoes and herbs.

I ile the m both ways.

There are probably 10000 different recipoes for them!

I've nver had bullforg legs, though. Are they tough?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Well, I guess I'm going to have to go out and get a couple....
    I just read in a local rag that there is a woman that does frog control in the area then sells the frogs to the college for disecting purposes. There was a picture of her holding a 2lb. bull frog!!

Man, as good as they might be, for some reason I think I would have a hard time eating one, not to sure why, just the thought of it maybe. After a few beers I might be able to. I would deffinatly want someone who cooks and eats them regularily to cook them for me so I knew it was done right for the first time.
    monstermuley