Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison Liver

Venison Liver

I have read a few threads regarding venison liver and the tradions y'all have when you have harvested an animal. I decided to add this liver recipe on how I prepare and cook venison liver. It has a little flair to it, at least I think it does and it is very tasty.

ALISON'S DILLED VENISON LIVER and ONIONS

[FONT='Verdana Ref', sans-serif]½ cup all-purpose flour
    ¼ tsp. pepper
    ¼ cup butter
    ½ tsp. dill weed
    2 tsp. salt
    1 lb. venison liver, sliced
    ½ cup onion, minced

Stir together flour, salt and pepper. Coat liver with flour mixture. Melt butter in a large skillet; brown liver over medium heat. Reduce heat and sprinkle with onion and dill. Cover tightly and simmer 20 minutes. Serves 4[/FONT]

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Venison Liver

Ali, I've got 3 pounds of moose liver in my freezer, it's yours if you want it...
    Team Goldbond Administrative Assistant

Ali, I was wondering why it is common to call dill, and most people do, dill weed? It suggests to me that there is another dill out there somewhere that is not a weed. Our family just always referred to it as dill and never had a problem confusing it with something else. Just curious you know.

I'll take a stab at answering it. From what little I know, Dill and Dill weed are the same plant. I think they dropped the word weed to make it sound more appetizing. Kinda like they do with stuff they can't find a market for.
    Team Goldbond Administrative Assistant

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Ali, I was wondering why it is common to call dill, and most people do, dill weed? It suggests to me that there is another dill out there somewhere that is not a weed. Our family just always referred to it as dill and never had a problem confusing it with something else. Just curious you know.

wild dill weed grows all over hence why they call it a weed but it is actually a herb that you would use in making dill pickles - sorry if I confused you

oh and Toby, when I come to PG (if I ever get organized for the trip) perhaps I should cook up that liver for you heheheee

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by newhunterette View Post
    .....brown liver over medium heat. Reduce heat and sprinkle with onion and dill. Cover tightly and simmer 20 minutes. Serves 4[/font]
    Ali, anything left of the liver after cooking it for 20 minutes? Not being a smartass here but I always cook the liver just until the juices run just a wee tad on the pink side. The danger is in over cooking the liver.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    Ali, anything left of the liver after cooking it for 20 minutes? Not being a smartass here but I always cook the liver just until the juices run just a wee tad on the pink side. The danger is in over cooking the liver.
    Ali sure know how to cook my liver, she said simmer not burn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post

I simmer the liver and the 20 minutes is an approximation for time as some people may cut the liver in thicker pieces than others - but simmering lets the flavours blend together

Bow Walker Guest

JG1 - Allison is one hell of a cook. Just do a search for her thread on the dishes she sends with Peter when he goes hunting/fishing.

Ali - yer right, simmering in liquid is about as cooked as it gets when panfrying for just a few minute(s) per side. Now I've got to wipe my keyboard clean...

Venison liver is best the same night as the kill, fresh. I slice into half inch or less and fry it with onions and bacon, some salt and pepper; only about 60 seconds on each side. It is not only pink in the middle, it is red, and it is DELICIOUS. Last year I had about 10 peices in one sitting.
    Early natives used to eat the liver raw at the kill site.
    Last edited by Moosenose; 04-11-2008 at 08:58 AM. Reason: punctuation change