Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Expandable Broadheads

Opinions on Expandable Broadheads

I have toyed with the idea of using them but have heard more bad than good about them. If my information is correct some states in the U.S. do not allow their use in the hunting season.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Opinions on Expandable Broadheads

i dont bow hunt (yet) but from what i have heard and read about them they arent very good...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Rocky Mountain Snypers from Barrie Archery! They have taken expandables to a new level. The design is pretty smart and eliminates the problems that all others suffer.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Alot of the bad press came from the first styles that came out. A lot of people still harbour some pretty strong opinions about them. My first choice would be a fixed bladed broadhead that I could get to fly with my field points without any problems. They are out there, I've had success getting WASP's to fly well. However it can be difficult to get some bows to shoot fixed bladed broadheads well, especially at longer distances. I have used and still have no problem using expandables. I have used Rocket Naildrivers (2 bladed) with success, shot a mulie doe at 55yds last year 1/4'ng away and it punched right through and made a huge hole. It is much easier to find an expandable that will fly well out of a particular bow (not an excuse to not tune your bow properly). Rocket makes several good ones, rocky mt Snypers are another good one. You will generally have to have a faster shooting bow with a minimum KE to ensure they open properly, jut check manufacturer's suggestions.

I am useing the Muzzy fixed blanes because I have seen how poorly the Spitfires react to any contact with a hard object. If they hit a branch enroute to their target, TOAST! Of course that is only my opinion and I don't have much in the way of bowhunting experience. Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

As with anything there are good and bad in both expandable and fixed blade. There are lots of expandandable and fixed on the market that really have no business being on the end of anyones arrow. There are also lots of good in both styles. Myself I like the fixed as there is just simply less to go wrong with them, especially the one peice Montecs I have been shooting. As far as getting a fixed to fly well it really is just a matter of properly tuning the bow. You can just tune to your broadheads or you can tune to bring your broadheads and field points to the same point.

Nothing against expandables, but in some instances they are used when the knowledge of proper tuning is not present and its an "easy" way to get decent flight. Only problem with that is while you may get decent accuracy out of a "loosely" tuned bow, you will loose a lot of KE due to less than great arrow flight resulting in poor penetration. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with these heads but your bow should be tuned well enough to shoot fixed blade heads before you use them. Also they should not be used in low KE set-ups.

Just my opinion
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

I use the Muzzy's like fred and while I have only taken one animal with them they seem to fly consistantly when practising. One thing to remember--- put them together properly !!! Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

You aren't just kidding Mike. Those instructions on the package are for the birds. It must have took me at least 1/2 an hour to figure out how to assemble the practice tip and I wasn't about to ask for advice from my friends at BO and look even dumber that I am! Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Just stay away from expandables. No need to add another component of possible error or miscalculation when you're in tight. You need your equipment to work and do it's job.

JT

The big thing with the whole subject is Shot Placement. No mater what you use you have to hit the kill zone. A field tip will kill if you hit the zone, ( Don't try it), But if you hit it in the Ass, Mech, or Fixed isnt goning to matter.