Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting an Alberta hunting license???

Getting an Alberta hunting license???

How does a BC resident with a hunting license go about getting an Alberta license (WIN card)? Is it just as simple as going in to any vendor and buying one?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Getting an Alberta hunting license???

You need to have a hunter host (Alberta Resident) with a valid WIN Card that will co-sign with you, putting their WIN Number on your license. You can go to a vendor such as Co-op or Canadian Tire and they will give you a temporary paper copy of you WIN and your tags and you can start hunting that day. Or you could do it through the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by bruin View Post
    You need to have a hunter host (Alberta Resident) with a valid WIN Card that will co-sign with you, putting their WIN Number on your license. You can go to a vendor such as Co-op or Canadian Tire and they will give you a temporary paper copy of you WIN and your tags and you can start hunting that day. Or you could do it through the mail.
    So i would get my own WIN or would I kind of be sharing the same number with the co-signer??
    I'm not looking to buy tags or anything, but I just need the WIN for work this spring I believe.

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

You have to get your own WIN card like bruin said. I went hunting there last fall. With the WIN card purchase, white tail tag and me paying my buddies hunter host fee it was $186.00
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Just go and get a WIN card, I think it is $8, you'll need it to buy either a fishing licence of a hunting licence. It is good for 5 years.

Then you need a hunter host to actually buy licences and tags (and Alberta actually has ski tag type tags). As a Non-Resident, you are limited in the tags you can buy and the draws you can put into, you must put in with an Albertan for everything except sheep and are limited to bull moose, muley buck, and trophy antelope for draws IIRC. I don't think there are many restrictions on GOS tags for Non- Residents.

What would you need to shoot gophers? Besides a gun and ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeadler View Post
    Just go and get a WIN card, I think it is $8, you'll need it to buy either a fishing licence of a hunting licence. It is good for 5 years.

Then you need a hunter host to actually buy licences and tags (and Alberta actually has ski tag type tags). As a Non-Resident, you are limited in the tags you can buy and the draws you can put into, you must put in with an Albertan for everything except sheep and are limited to bull moose, muley buck, and trophy antelope for draws IIRC. I don't think there are many restrictions on GOS tags for Non- Residents.
    Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by killman View Post
    What would you need to shoot gophers? Besides a gun and ammo.
    Landowners permission ....Same goes for Yotes too

No license or tags required
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Mike I think non residents need to buy a tag for coyotes if you can believe that. KES, The regulations are available online. I am going out in May to have my GF's dad become my hunter host and get a WIN card. If you haven't gone by then I'll let you know how it goes. I want to start putting in for draws.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

I dont think so re: Yotes ... Granted I never looked it up ... as Residents dont need licence or tags for Yotes ...

If so ..phew ... Good thing I never actually got a shot at a Yote while I was at My Buddys ranch before Easter....
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask