Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stopping dogs from digging

stopping dogs from digging

Well the snow is pretty much gone in our yard, and our lab pup has discovered the grass and dirt. She has started digging a couple small holes. Anybody have suggestions for preventing this? Thanks Rob
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

2. Site Sponsor

Re: stopping dogs from digging

Put her dog crap in the holes and she won't dig in them anymore. Or you could get a shock collar and wait for her to start digging and zap her from in the house. Then wait again and when she starts digging zap her again. Sit down with a case of beer and do this until she realizes that digging is associated with being zapped.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

put some tabasco sauce and pepper in there so when she smells it she gets pepper in her nose. and apparently they don't like the smell of tabasco sauce. worked for our dog

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    Put her dog crap in the holes and she won't dig in them anymore.
    This worked for my lab when he was young as well. I think a lot of the digging is based on boredom, so try and keep them busy or entertained if that's possible. Otherwise it may end up looking like a gopher field in the back yard.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

we used cayenne pepper and water in the holes - when Hunter decided to dig she would smell the pepper and sneeze - took her about 3 days and she stopped digging - plus the pepper would get on her paws and when she licked them - HOT HOT HOT a reminder of digging

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

cayenne, wasabi, pepper, tobasco - my dog loved all them "seasoned"

The poop trick worked for our old lab that dug, the training collars work well too.

let the dog dig....
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    Put her dog crap in the holes and she won't dig in them anymore. Or you could get a shock collar and wait for her to start digging and zap her from in the house. Then wait again and when she starts digging zap her again. Sit down with a case of beer and do this until she realizes that digging is associated with being zapped.

Dittoooo... Fill her holes with her own $hit.. It will cure her of it. I tried everything and thats the only thing that worked and gave me a place to put it for a while...

my neighbor heped me with the same problem years ago. i set a very large rat trap in the hole and covered it with loose leaves, she went to dig and the trap jumped out at her. she got cured and we got entertained.

diggerpax is offline "Shoot 'em in the guts"

Stopping digging can be tough, and lots of great methods have been given. I'll throw in more exercise or more toys to keep her occupied if the others fail. Make sure the toys aren't something she can swallow or tear up and swallow- puppies with stuck toys can get very expensive.