Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bannock?

Bannock?

Anyone have a good recipe? I am looking for something that could be mixed up dry before hand, add water, mix, nead and fry.

Thanks
    James

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bannock?

Sounds like a room mate I had back in my college days (grin): Really dry and easily fried
    "didn't want the cabin lookin' like it was built by a boyscout with a dull hatchet."

- Dick Proenneke

Try GOogle...
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

4 cups of flour, 1/2 cup milk powder (optional),dash of salt, teaspoon of sugar,4 tablespoons of baking powder. add water to make it sticky and fry in hot oil or butter, bacon fat etc. you can add dried berries, if you have an egg you can throw that in before you mix it up. works with either whole wheat or white flour
    In times of change,learners inherit the earth while the learned find themselves wonderfully prepared for a world that no longer exhists.

If you got kids one our favorite things to do is spiral it around a green stick and roast it over a campfire then eat it with jam and butter. Mmmmmm!
    I'm going to the dogs.
    Airy Mtn. Airedales

Quote Originally Posted by bckev View Post
    4 cups of flour, 1/2 cup milk powder (optional),dash of salt, teaspoon of sugar,4 tablespoons of baking powder. add water to make it sticky and fry in hot oil or butter, bacon fat etc. you can add dried berries, if you have an egg you can throw that in before you mix it up. works with either whole wheat or white flour
    How much does this make? My bread machine makes 1 1/2 lbs of bread with 3 cups flour
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Baking Powder doesn't have quite the same leavening effect of yeast. Think of pancake batter. Same stuff.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I was told once that if you cut the top and bottom off a small can (lika a salmon can) and fry your bannock within it's confines that they rise better and come out more like bisquits than pancakes.

Do you flip them like a pancake or do you just let it cook through?
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

I have a really good recipe at home. I'll post it after work. I mix it up dry and then just add water. Fry it in lard. It also works great as a batter for frying fish, you just mix it a little thinner.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!