Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs for shed hunting?

Dogs for shed hunting?

Anybody had any luck using dogs for finding sheds? Just trying to find out if it's a viable method, or just the odd dog gettin lucky? I would assume fresh sheds have plenty of scent for a dog...

Your thoughts?

TJ

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dogs for shed hunting?

Sounds like a great a fun idea, great way to spend time with the pooch

Over the years when I have been out picking mushrooms in the fall my dogs have returned to me with several sheds. However, because of the time of year, they are usually bleached out and varmit chewed. This leads me to believe that if you can get out at this time of year with a dog the success rate would be worth a nice walk.

It sounds like a good idea. I found a small blacktail shed a couple weeks ago and as soon as I let the dog out she must have smelt it then she found it right away and started to chew on it.
    I'm so much cooler Online.

YEs I have heard of many guys training dogs to retrieve sheds. It all starts at home with training though.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Why dogs pick up sheds is that they can smell them ,yes the animal scent is really strong on the antler when the sheds have fallen off within the first two months.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberjack View Post
    Anybody had any luck using dogs for finding sheds? Just trying to find out if it's a viable method, or just the odd dog gettin lucky? I would assume fresh sheds have plenty of scent for a dog...

Your thoughts?

TJ
    While I have never used a dog for shed hunting I do know of hunters that use them regularly with great success. Dogs are used for many things because of their outstanding sense of smell, so why not for shed hunting. Dogs like to eat bones and finding them comes naturally. When I take my dog for a walk he keeps finding all sorts of bones from the discarded chicken leg bone to the mouse skeleton.

"Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Ironically, today I found a shed and my dog was VERY interested in it. I am going to plant it in the bush on walks and reward her for finding it, maybe one day she'll haul one back on her own

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...r/Kysashed.jpg
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker View Post
    Ironically, today I found a shed and my dog was VERY interested in it. I am going to plant it in the bush on walks and reward her for finding it, maybe one day she'll haul one back on her own

Smart thinking dude...let us know how that turns out.
    When I works, I works hard; when I sits, I sits loose; and when I thinks, I falls asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker View Post

Nice to see your dog looking so happy Andy.