Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Afternoon on Cow Bay

Afternoon on Cow Bay

Well out again to try my luck at duck hunting and try out my new waders and jacket I just picked up for hunting.

Started the afternoon off by meeting up with HuntNHookSports and Sikanni Stalker who was over in Duncan for Christmas. We set up our spread but nothing came withing shooting range all morning except for a bufflehead that landed just outside of the decoys. We decided to leave this little guy alone hoping for something bigger. Then as I got all excited at a pair of mallards flying by I accidentally put my barrel in the mud. Hmm, did I do what I think I just did? I empty out the shotgun and look down the barrel. Crap! The barrel is plugged with mud, I find a stick and try and break it up then give it a washing with salt water to remove what's left in the barrel. We stayed set up in the same spot adjusting the decoys as the tide went out but after sitting there for a couple of hours and no shots we decided to move to a more productive spot.

No sooner do we get the decoys set up to mallards come into the spread. After two volleys of 3 shells from Sikanni Stalker and I not a duck hits the ground.

Some ducks fly around us but no takers. I hear some wigeon so I take out my wigeon whistle and start watching these two ducks from behind me. Then I hear Shhh,Shhh, Shhh from Sikanni Stalker. I turn around to see that there was another wigeon who was hovering for a landing not 2 feet off the ground. I plug him with one shot of #2 and the duck falls stone dead where it laid. Man di he ever pile up. Figured this was a good make up for the two we missed about an hour before.

about a half hour later a mallard hen is skirting the cover we're in and I figured it was now or never. I shoot the first round complete miss, the second, I think I saw some feathers fall and the third shot finally broke a wing as she plummets to the ground. Now with two ducks on the ground I feel a little bad because I kind of hogged the first to singles in the decoys. Here is a picture taken at home with Marshall claiming his prize.

Another Hen mallard comes to the decoy and I let Sikanni Stalker take the first shot which knocks a few feathers but the bird is still airborne. I give him a peppering with my pattern master and another bird crumples up at 30 yards. HuntNHookSports all the time is letting us try and knock some birds down, I'm sure he was laughing in the back ground at us missing so many chances.

Just before dark a flock comes out of the heavens twisting and turning as it's losing altitude. I thought ok here are some more wigeon. Just before the first on touches down the first volley of rounds goes off. Crap my shotgun jammed after the first shot. The other two guys unleash a furry of rounds and only one duck hits the ground that HuntNHookSports manages to connect with.

That was pretty much it for the afternoon, 1 wigeon and 3 hen mallards. I still haven't connected with a greenhead and I'm sure of the ducks I missed where drakes.

Thanks again to Sikanni Stalker & HuntNHookSports for some great time spent in the duck blind. I think it's awesome to be able to share a duck blind with other members who share the same passion for duck hunting as I do. I found out on the way back to the truck that this was Sikanni Stalker first time hunting ducks so he got to see first hand what it was all about. I think we've converted another...
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Afternoon on Cow Bay

Sounds like you had a good time. dont worry about the shooting im sure im worse,last two times out ive limited out but its costed me about 80 rounds and quite the headache for those 16 ducks.
    I am a member of..
    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Thats a nice wigeon you got there. We've got a couple groups of them that fly around both in excess of 200 ducks, they like to come into the goose spread early on, we've shot a bunch of them but not one has yet to be nice and coloured, we finally shot one last week that the drake started to have some white on the top.

At 80 rounds, those turned into some pretty expensive ducks, I think I've had the same two boxes of 3" #2s and 3 1/2" #BB in my blind bag for the past month. Though any goof could shoot doubles and triples with the birds hovering 15 yards away. I remember last year just after buying my auto, I went through a box of 3" and half a box of 3 1/2" to get my limit of ducks one morning, owell you learn to not waste that 3rd shell.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

I was reading somewhere that the average duck hunter shoots 4 shells for every duck that goes into the blind. I guess it also depends on what type of shooting you're doing. Pass shooting is a little harder to do then trying to knock birds down that are hovering over the decoys.

Yah the wigeon has to be one of the nicest looking puddle ducks out there next to the wood duck of course. I was kind of surprised when this lone guy came in as they are usually flocked up this time of the year.

BCWF

Well done Marc!

By this time next year you and Marshall will have a pile of drake greenies to your credit!

Hopefully the cycle of rain and nice will change a bit over there for you and add a little (little not lots) of wind and some nice overcast and the birds will decoy like chickens to corn!

Very best,

Ian

Bow Walker Guest

Somehow coffee and sandwiches taste a lot better when you're sitting in a duck blind with a couple of buddies.

When I was duck hunting I used to carry what is now called a "bore snake" just for emergencies like the one you had Marc. Mine was homemade in those days - back in '70s - but it saved my butt a time or two.

A great time was had by all.The only problem I see of this trip is that now I have to get a bunch more hunting gear! I am definitely hooked.Might benefit from a little more time at the range too. Marc, if you or HuntNHookSports ever find yourself up in my country I would be glad to take you out in my back yard hunting. It was awesome and we'll do it again. Thanks guys!
    Tim

Hey Marc, sounds like you had fun anyway, and you won't have to spend the whole afternoon pluckin'. We went to one of our lower fields Sunday morning and managed 14. It was slower than it had been but the weather wasn't ducky. Mostly singles and doubles came in, and the larger groups played shy. Getting to be late season and I guess some of them are getting decoy smart. Didn't hear any shots from the Bay on Sunday, usually we do, musta been slow or nobody there.

Tanya sounds like you're still managing lots of birds on your fields. We're going to give it another go this afternoon in another spot. Like you've said they've been shot at for close to 3 months and are harder to get within decoy range to take a poke at.

BCWF

Well it finally happened this morning. We had just set out the decoys when two mallards landed on the outside. It was still fairly dark so I asked if it was legal time yet, yup we are good to go. I could see the ducks on the water and they jumped up and I was leading them and then they went up to the point they were blacked out by land and I shot where I thought he would be and he fell out of the sky. Call it luck call it skill I'll take it either way.

BCWF