Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead hound found

Dead hound found

X-posting for a member on CGN

Just thought I'd mention it in case someone from the Hunting BC board comes here and knows someone missing a dog like this. I'd post this there myself, but I had account problems and asked to be white listed for now, so feel free to cross post this.

Just outside Lake Cowichan as you are heading to Duncan, first side road where the first red gate is (the place with the 870 acre land for sale sign).

Looked like some sort of walker hound, tri coloured (Beagle like colours), hound ears, and eyes, approx 70lbs.

Looked well fed, nails trimmed etc, no collar or ID tags.
    I didn't have gloves so I didn't inspect for an ear tattoo or microchip, and I didn't check to see what sex it was.

Looked like it was hit buy a vehicle and was left or moved to that spot.
    I believe it happened Sat night or Sunday morning, given the fact that I didn't see it before then.

If this is your dog please scoop it up, and bury it before more folks have to drive by it this weekend. And or before things warm up and we have to see a dog decompose for months. It's prob' too far off the hwy for the hwy department to pick it up.

Shame really, and a sucky time of year to loose a great looking dog like that.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dead hound found

Thats the pitts. Hope its nobodys off this site.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

The owner should be kicked in the butt,He should be hunting the dog with a collar with name tag or with permanent marker on the collar with phone number. Or if can feed a hound and hunt a hound ,he should own a tracking collar.And if he can't afford a tracking collar he shouldn't be hunting with dogs.You put so much time and money to rise and train a hound its ******ed not to protect your dog.Its just stupid.

I dont know a single hounds person that runs a dog without a collar , unless some jackass took the collar after the fact or it got loose from one of the local homes (within a 20km as hounds can travel)I cant see a reason for a hound to be without a collar ( I guess it could have slipped its collar) . almost every dog has a collar on hound or not and most places have a requirment for liscencing so you would think it would at least have a collar on it for that reason .

sounds like the dog is well taken care of so i would guess someone is missing it. very sad thing to hear especially at Christmas .

There is a few guys that hunt in the area that only put a tracking collar on their best dogs.Cause they are so cheap to spead $150.00 for a collar.

sounds like this dog didnt have any collar, tracking or otherwise on it which makes no sense. Have you ever seen a dog intentianally hunted without any collar ?? .
    getting hit by a car is pretty sad thing to happen, hopefully the owners find it and get some closure

The only time I put a collar on my dogs are when I'm walking them on a leash, to and from the truck to the boat, or training them. Then again they're retrievers and don't usually leave my line of sight. It's sad that someone has lost their dog and there is nothing worst then never finding it.

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by marblewoodhead View Post
    The owner should be kicked in the butt,He should be hunting the dog with a collar with name tag or with permanent marker on the collar with phone number. Or if can feed a hound and hunt a hound ,he should own a tracking collar.And if he can't afford a tracking collar he shouldn't be hunting with dogs.You put so much time and money to rise and train a hound its ******ed not to protect your dog.Its just stupid.

What makes you so sure the dog was being hunted by it's owner at the time it was killed, or even ever...? because it was a hound?

Many folks own hounds that never have been or never will be hunted, and are merely cherished pets....just as any breed of dog may be.

Another scenario to consider is: perhaps someone else discovered the dead dog before bcsteve happened across it, realized the value in the tracking and shocking collars it may have been wearing and stole them from the rightfull owner.

As you can see, this incident may have been played out in more than one scenario before the dog was killed by a vehicle, if it even was struck...

I don't doubt you when you say; "There is a few guys that hunt in the area that only put a tracking collar on their best dogs.Cause they are so cheap to spead $150.00 for a collar."
    Unfortuneately, that's probably true...
    Last edited by Spokerider; 12-26-2007 at 11:56 AM.

Is there a chance the dog was shot behind the ear by an owner who was too cheap to euthanize it at the vets? That could explain why the collar was missing.

I've owned hounds and I just had to put down my last hound "cancer" . I just built a home for a friend a 1/4 - 1/2 mile from where the dog is or was,and last fall and spring their was on four different times hounds came through the 22 acre parcel of land and only once one of the hounds had a tracking collar on it (bluetick) and the other hounds had no collars at all or just a regular collar but most of the hounds .Most of the hounds you can tell ,who's hounds they are by the gene pool. I always had a tracking collar on a HOUND when it left the YARD or THE TRUCK just for peace of mind or YOU JUST OWE IT TO YOUR DOG OR DOGS.