Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: about CORE and safe hunting

sneg is offline Born 2 hunt forced 2 work

about CORE and safe hunting

I was duck hunting at Boundary Bay marshes few weeks ago.
    Action was fine in the morning.Beatifull sunrise and etc...
    I went to pick up another mallard from the water and on my way back to my blind ...suddenly... bang ..bang... somebody was shooting over my head 10 yards in front of me,just behind my blind.
    You know it feels like somebody is shooting at you...
    It is difficult to describe that feeling.
    So I talk to that guy and try to explain that he is supposed to find another spot and no way he should try to shoot over somebody's head.
    Conversation was difficult, he is new immigrant from China and insists that his mentor / consultant teaches him that there is no rules in Hunting regulations that impose any distances between hunters.
    More over , in 20 min or so his mentor/consultant arrives . We had another conversation with same results.

I do not remember any such rules either.Safety was obvious for me all my hunting life and this story happened to me at first time.
    I just decided to pick up my decoys and leave,anyway I'm hunting for fun only and do not want to be shoot over my head at point blank. I notice they continue the "duck hunting"- shooting at sea gulls, sea ducks and everyting what is flying withing 200 yards.

However , still I'm having mixed feeling, safe hunting is not all what CORE about ? Would be it wise or lawfull to ask for his Hunter Number Card and report to CO for review ?
    Any opinions or similar experiences?
    Member of Outdoors Club Antlers and Hoofs.
    http://antlersandhoofs.com/index.php
    Member of Mission Gun and Rod Club.
    Member of Safari Club International.
    Member of Delta Waterfowl.
    Member of Ducks Unlimited.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: about CORE and safe hunting

There isn't any set rules about how far you must be, but there are sure rules about pointing a gun at someone!!

I suggest that you record licence plates if you can, and contact a CO. He may want to give them a lecture, which is probaly what is needed.

I might have told him there are no laws regarding you sitting behind HIM.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I agree there is no rules inregards to minimum distances between hunters but there is a criminal code regulation inregards to "The dangerous use of a firearm" as well as a federal wildlife regulation that prohibits the hunting or killing of sea birds, sea gulls included. Takes pictures of the violators and their vehicles with your camera or cell phone or at least record them and report them immediately to authorities. It is bad enough when persons born and raised here violate the regs but we do not need people coming here and bringing their non conservation, non sportsman and dangerous habits here and think it is okay.
    THE FEW THE PROUD, SEMPER FI

In Core Classes safety is always a concern and we try to impress upon the students the importance of safe firearms handling as well we try to encourge them to think in an ethical manner having care and concern for their fellow hunter as well as other people that are out there. There is actually a section that recommends what do and where to locate in a situation such as this. Unfortunately as with just about everything in todays world there are those that just don't get the message. A few years back I instructed a class that had 3 young lads that were obiously friends. Not long after the course was over they were arrested along with their parents pit lamping. This even after we discussed this in class and were supplied with the ORR Observe, Record and Report Cards W can lead them to water but we can't make them drink.

Theres no need for guys like that out there, they need to be taught a lesson. See them again out there doing the same stuff, carry a large blaze orange jacket or some ugly bright colour and no waterfowl will even come close, hang it in your blind and if they come back they'll think that spot isnt very good for hunting and they'll move. Do something funny, or get there info and go to the COs
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

report them for shooting seagulls, that is against the law. no more problem.

Cool Re: about CORE and safe hunting

i agree with pete, there is a mention of ethical hunting as to the exact situation that was initialy stated.i instruct all my students that unless we own the property we hunt on , we cannot tell others that are already in the spot we chose to hunt to move, also i insist that they not disturb the hunter but move to another safe location.this is only showing respectto our fellow hunters but also promoting goodwill towards others as well. it seems that the fellows "mentor" needs to attend a proper CORE session to find out/ remind him that hunting in canada is still only a privilidge not a right. asto the seagull shooting, damn straight, report them asap.

I'm Chinese but that wasn't me

In all seriousness, as a naturalized immigrant myself (I've lived in Canada longer than in HK), we can see that language/cultural barriers are present and it is definitely the hunter's responsibility to be absolutely certain of the regulations, especially when English isn't one's first language. I know some older Chinese guys who pull some rather boneheaded moves while hunting, and it saddens me to hear these things, whether the hunter is Chinese or Canadian. We don't need anymore negative publicity, especially within our own hunting community.

If it happens again at B-bay, RAPP is your friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

I had this happen to me, alhought 60-75 yards, not 10, earlier in the year. Know how you feel. I spoke with a federal CO about this and asked him what he could do, after an apology he said nothing. He did indicate as others have that the Police/RCMP can address this, but unless they see the action happening little can be done, your word versus his.

I wish I could be of more help, what happened to me changed where and when I hunt on B-bay.

Very best,

Ian

I was there Thursday. Bluebird day, maybe even the same place.

Nobody else around but about three boxes of empties somebody left behind. I picked up a shopping bag full.

Not to hijack this thread, but on the issue of ethics, safety and just general good behaviour, I wish more people would pick up their empties. Sure, nobody sees them out there, but they wash up with the tide and there are sailboarders and bird watchers out there too, and some of them don't like hunters, so we shouldn't give them any more excuses to complain.