Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tent recommendations?

Tent recommendations?

Normally I solo hunt from the truck and I can sleep almost anywhere, typically I'll just fold back the truck seat. I'm getting older and I have my adult son coming with on a hunt this fall so I'd like something with a bit more comfort. I do a late September hunt in the Peace Region pretty much every year so I'm not going to need a wood stove or anything like that.

Recommendations? I'm thinking something big enough for 2-3 guys with cots if possible but sleeping on the ground is certainly not an issue.
    Budget is under $1000 bucks, and don't have a problem with buying used since I'm only going to use it for a week or two a year.

Suggestions?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tent recommendations?

It's this tent not the cabin . Please These tents are awesome, highly recommend. I just recently bought my second one I have two now. When I'm keeping as a family, only tent. And my new one spokennoise I will be putting a wood stove, jack in it, and then using it as a hunting tent. I also picked up one of those Chinese diesel heaters and they are amazing. Been using it now, multiple times in its work flawlessly

https://kodiakcanvas.com/collections...s-camping-tent

I would second the Kodiak canvas tent. I have had one for many years and love it. Would definitely recommend cots, I would never go back to sleeping on the ground
    It aint easy being green

I’d check out the cabelas bighorn. It’s a touch over your budget but they go on sale quite often. It’s almost freestanding and lots of room to stand up. My hunting partner has one that I’ve slept in a bunch of times. Wood stove jack there if you decide to go that route down the road.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Something I have done for september hunts, is use a double wide pop up ice fishing tent (12'x6' ~). Room for cots, folding chair(s), hang a light from the top. Just put a good size tarp over the top to help with rain and stake it down good. set up is pretty quick by yourself. just a thought
    Only shoot small bulls near the road

I'm a bit nervous about overnighting solo in a tent these days. With a buddy or 2 works, although I doubt a bear cares how many are inside haha. Been thinking of slapping some plywood panels around the outside of my truck bed rack & throwing a tarp over the whole affair for when things get wet. Redneck doghouse.... off the ground & something a bit more substantial than canvas or nylon... Attach the ply boards to the rack with threaded u-bolts & wing nuts so they're easily removable.... not purty but functional... ??

Last edited by mike31154; 07-09-2024 at 07:38 AM.

I just bought a seek outside redcliff set it up at home and looks like it’ll be super functional. 9.9 pounds including stove

Duplicate post "deleted"
    Last edited by Ron.C; 07-09-2024 at 09:38 AM.

There's a " like new" used 12x12 cabelas alaknak on Facebook marketplace in Langley. One of my buddies has one and loves his as a 3 season tent.

The kodiak flex-bow fits the criteria pretty well, I like space, so I would suggest the 10x14 for 3 guys, but if it's primarily 2 guys the 10x10 will be roomy enough

The gazelle pop up tents could also work as well, but definitely more geared towards summer use than fall

If you aren't going to use the tent often, and perhaps you already have a portable/pop up sun canopy, you can buy tent kits for those, but again those kits are geared towards summer use....but if you have no need for a wood stove than moot point, or can use them with a diesel or propane heater rather than modifying for a chimney vent
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster