Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: New mandatory reporting requirements for moose hunters

Re: New mandatory reporting requirements for moose hunters

Quote Originally Posted by sthdslayer View Post
    Just remember everything this Govt. does at this time is measured against UNDRIP
    or the other big govt waste, maybe they are trying to calculate our carbon footprint...heheh

Stupid politics crap ... Just my two cents wait oh Trudy took that too haha
    Shhhhitttt I got this hold my beer

One of the other things I find about the hunter reports is that they do not paint a clear picture of the hunt. Let's say I am looking for moose and I have a draw that still restricts you to immature, tri-palm or 10 point, as is the case still in 7b. Would it not be a good time to ask, how many days, how many moose did you see split into cows, bulls etc. and could you have filled your licence if in fact you didn't kill anything. It seems to me it would be useful information if I didn't get a bull because I never saw a bull moose as opposed to I saw six bulls but none of them fit the antler restrictions.

I have a mule deer tag and am doing the questionnaire.....if I am hunting and will only pull the trigger on a big 4 point, I may well have seen a number of 4 points but simply did not kill one looking for a monster. So my response with simply number or days and did I kill one does not paint an accurate picture of the deer herd situation. Big difference between hunting for a week and not seeing a legal 4 point and hunting a week and seeing a dozen 4 points but chose not to shoot any of them.

The current forms are so rudimentary that I question whether or not they really want good information.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

They pretty much have been sending out harvest questioners every year anyways so not really a whole bunch different.

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    One of the other things I find about the hunter reports is that they do not paint a clear picture of the hunt. Let's say I am looking for moose and I have a draw that still restricts you to immature, tri-palm or 10 point, as is the case still in 7b. Would it not be a good time to ask, how many days, how many moose did you see split into cows, bulls etc. and could you have filled your licence if in fact you didn't kill anything. It seems to me it would be useful information if I didn't get a bull because I never saw a bull moose as opposed to I saw six bulls but none of them fit the antler restrictions.

I have a mule deer tag and am doing the questionnaire.....if I am hunting and will only pull the trigger on a big 4 point, I may well have seen a number of 4 points but simply did not kill one looking for a monster. So my response with simply number or days and did I kill one does not paint an accurate picture of the deer herd situation. Big difference between hunting for a week and not seeing a legal 4 point and hunting a week and seeing a dozen 4 points but chose not to shoot any of them.

The current forms are so rudimentary that I question whether or not they really want good information.
    Very good points...I always elaborated on my hunts on the paper copies of the questionnaires but I can't remember if the online questionnaire has a comments option or not..

So on my 3 week hunt last year, I had a black bear, sheep, goat, moose, elk, mule deer, white tail deer tag with me. If i was to actually answer their questions the way they ask them, they would think that I hunted140 days that trip. I answered them honestly; I hunted sheep for 20 days. That is what I was there for. Sure, I would have taken any one of those other animals home if it made sense. I don't think answering them the way they ask is good or beneficial for anyone, even the ministry... My 2 dollars worth (as dollars are now the new cents).
    WSSBC Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    They pretty much have been sending out harvest questioners every year anyways so not really a whole bunch different.
    It is mandatory with the result of non-compliance being locked out of purchasing a license the following year. It is fundamentally different.

Hunters observations on the hunt or how long they hunt really have no impact on the amount of tags to hand out.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    Hunters observations on the hunt or how long they hunt really have no impact on the amount of tags to hand out.
    I might be paddling upstream with the comments that have been coming in.
    I see this more about adding 'citizen science' to wildlife management. I see it less about harvest and days afield relative to a harvest and more about, what did you see while you were out there. A confirmation on Gov data.
    An example, Todigan, a bow only area, the Redchris mine is responsible to monitor sheep adjacent to their mine site. They are obligated to submit a report on adults, legal rams, lambs, juvenile to adult ratios. Hunters in the field might offer, how many legal rams they saw, how many predators? In the view of the resident, was there good lamb recruitment? This can confirm reports, or result in a need for more investigation to confirm population dynamics. And with that sort of information, would we not be in a better position to align with stewardship objectives, observe trends and align hunting opportunity?

But I'll let you guys carry on here.
    Last edited by J_T; 07-11-2024 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    So on my 3 week hunt last year, I had a black bear, sheep, goat, moose, elk, mule deer, white tail deer tag with me. If i was to actually answer their questions the way they ask them, they would think that I hunted140 days that trip. I answered them honestly; I hunted sheep for 20 days. That is what I was there for. Sure, I would have taken any one of those other animals home if it made sense. I don't think answering them the way they ask is good or beneficial for anyone, even the ministry... My 2 dollars worth (as dollars are now the new cents).
    I feel the same
    for the 'other' species I usually input in a few (4-6 maybe) days with no harvest, if for no other reason than to imply the interest to hunt
    I carry a black bear tag or two all year and may never go on a hunt but will still put down some effort
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC