Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New higher fines for Poaching

New higher fines for Poaching

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2024WLRS0030-000945

"Fines under the Wildlife Act and its regulations have not been substantially updated in more than two decades. Effective June 18, 2024, the new fines for violation tickets range from $345 to $1,495, a significant increase from the current range of $115 to $575. Approximately 200 violation ticket fines are increased. The highest new fine amount, $1,495, will apply to people hunting wildlife defined as big game during a closed hunting season, the unlawful possession of big game or the unlawful possession of threatened or endangered species, as well as other serious offences under the Wildlife Act and its regulations."
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New higher fines for Poaching

At least its a start...poachers are always going to poach though.

Pennies - they should be 10 times that!
    Think, don't just have thoughts.

The Chief CO spoke at the BCWF AGM. There were a surprising low number of tickets and an equally alarming number of warnings.
    That aside, the "GUVMENT" will not commit the higher fines going back into the resource. There would be more incentive to the CO's if the fines were applied to their betterment.

I agree with both above statements that the fines for poaching (especially big game) should be much higher, and it's completely egregious that the $ from fines is not put back into wildlife..

Good to see, but still at least a few zeroes short if they really want to discourage folks from breaking the law
    "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it" - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by kevingm1987 View Post
    At least its a start...poachers are always going to poach though.
    It's economics 101~ $1495 fine if they catch you with a poached moose that will net you 500 lbs of meat. $6 lb for ground, works out to about $3000 worth of meat use the prices for prime steaks or tenderloins and that value is much higher! The odds of getting caught are slim to none since there is almost no enforcement, or at least very little. I know we have only been stopped once in 50 years while transporting game, and we weren't even trying to avoid being stopped.

The fines are a joke really.

Sounds like a $1495 fine for getting rid of a whiskey jack that may be picking holes in your cheese cloth meat bags and letting flies in to destroy your hard work might be a little steep. Definitely appropriate for poaching a cow moose out of season though. I just wish that game wardens had more common sense when they decide what fine to give you...
    WSSBC Life Member

I think all fines including traffic and what ever should be tied to you income. For lots of us retired folks $1495 is a months income for others thats just loose change. But it would be to difficult to do, I'm sure.
    Last edited by MRP; 06-18-2024 at 07:40 AM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    Pennies - they should be 10 times that!
    Exactly. With the price of good meat these days, you’d be happy to pay $1,500 for a moose!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.