Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cinnamon bear hide - first time

cinnamon bear hide - first time

So my cinnamon bear hide throw turned out real nice, thick and lush, it's a beauty! Been wrestling with it now to soften it up more.
    First time tanning.. the whole process was a bit ridiculous in terms of steps, and repeating steps.. I learned a lot. But I would recommend it.
    Next I want to try tan a nice deer hide. Anyway, here are the photos...

Good luck with your LEHs and all the best.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: cinnamon bear hide - first time

Nice work, good going
    Looks clean, did you tumble it somehow?
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

cheers man
    no tumbling, just several wash cycles and brushing..

did you tan it before you dried it? I salt tanned a couple of hides that I cant figure out how to soften without taking it to a commercial tanner. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    - A hunter who doesn't bring home the meat is just an outdoor enthusiast

Beautiful!

Can you list all the steps so we can learn some? Pictures with instructions would help. It really looks nice. I have thrown all the hide, what a loss!
    Life is too short and time goes too fast. Hunt, hunt, and hunt....

My approach was to imitate the pros. So i purchased all the solvents/chemical they use. This include a degreaser/relaxer, pickling salt, tanning solution and oil for finishing. I even got some pH strips to measure the pickling solution. I have enough solvents left over to do several more animals. So i am willing to sell and ship a batch or two, with the original instructions, for anyone interested. PM me.

In terms of steps:
    1. Fleshing - i used a pressure washer (2,100 psi at max and i could not cut a hole in the hide, meaning that psi was safe for my hide)
    2. Salting - two rounds
    3. Washing, degreasing and relaxing (got a solvent for that)
    4. Pickling for two days (got a pickling salt for that, pH 3.5 was the target)
    5. Shaving - again, i used a pressure washer. After pickling the hide swells and the leftover membrane come off easy
    6. Drying
    7. Tanning (got a solvent for that)
    8. Drying, stretching, brushing and softening the hide
    9. Final oiling, makes it soft and preserves the leather (got a solvent for that)

The instruction that came with each solvent were clear and easy to follow. For the other steps, used either common sense or google.

Again, the amount of steps and work to get it done is a bit ridiculous, so you must enjoy working on projects to take up this project. I went into it thinking I may hate it, but I did not. I recommend it! It was meaningful and the final product is incredible. Come winter time the hide will get ton of use on the couch. Plus it looks dope and it comes with a hunting story.

Thanks
    Last edited by stosto; 06-13-2024 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drum_boy101 View Post
    Beautiful!
    This sums it up. Nice work!

There is a lot to tanning and it is totally unreasonable to expect a member of the site to type it all out for you...would take him weeks. Entire books are written on the subject and Google is your friend. My advice is to surf the web as there are sites specifically about tanning and there are groups on FB that have instructions for tanning (or so my wife says).

You can buy tanning kits or buy the ingredients you need after reading about it and deciding which tanning method you want to try, Chemical tans, alum tanning, brain tanning/smoke (a FN method), etc. It is a lot of work to properly flesh and tan a hide and you can't take short cuts or it will not turn out right. So all I can say is start reading or go to youtube and watch some tanning episodes.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Looks awesome. Good job.