Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Region 2 bear down - Strange story

Region 2 bear down - Strange story

Bit of a bizarre one here. My wife and I are sitting around camp chit chatting, hadn't even started hunting yet. This boar walks right up and starts woofing at us, staring us down and acting all cranky.

Another bear had come through same direction not too far away (in a hurry I should add) a few minutes before which we mostly ignored, so I'm guessing this boar was all jacked up on hormones after a sow or pushing off another boar.

Had lots of close encounters with cranky bears, bluff charges and a couple predatory encounters so my threshold is on the high side, takes a lot to make me feel uncomfortable, but this one got the frontal headshot. Hunt (if you can call it that?) ended before it started.

Just as thankful for all the meat. First time taking bear on a drivable road / trail (albeit an old / overgrown one) and was kind of dreading someone might drive up to the "scene", but two different vehicles did and soooo pleasant they were all good company, excited to see the bear and great to talk with. Awesome weekend, just kind of weird the way it played out. 1 in a million seems to happen to me too often. Have fun out there... be alert... they don't always announce themselves like this

Last edited by caddisguy; 06-02-2024 at 07:47 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Region 2 bear down - Strange story

You just never know when its going to happen. Maybe he was suicidal

Congrats!! Nice bear

Ha! Sometimes it just happens this way!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I would consider buying lottery tickets if I was you..... Congrats!!

Hunting rarely go as planned. Two weeks ago we saw a bear crossing the logging road. My hunting partner is an old doctor who always beg to go with me. His thumb is injured from the years of doing surgeries. It cannot push the safety up or down. Therefore his rifle is always cocked when when chambering in a round. I am scared of this. We continued to drive a short distance and stopped. I let him wait on the road expecting the bear would return. I then further drove down to give him space.

whike waiting for him to connect the bear, I checked a gated road. Without 20 minute, I shot a bear.
    Life is too short and time goes too fast. Hunt, hunt, and hunt....

hmmm first photo observe the bears front right leg.....no wrist No taper...stovepipe straight ARM/LEG......MATURE LARGE BEAR.....

CONGRADS..very nice indeed...do you have a head on photo...

be well
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    hmmm first photo observe the bears front right leg.....no wrist No taper...stovepipe straight ARM/LEG......MATURE LARGE BEAR.....

CONGRADS..very nice indeed...do you have a head on photo...

be well
    Steven
    Thanks for the insight about the taper vs stovepipe. I never noticed that on any bear in general. That's a great tip!

My wife took some vids and pics here and there. I'm not sure if there was a top of head photo. I have some broadside ones that look narrow but looking down from top of head, he sure had a noggin on him. Out of the 3 pics I posted I guess the second one gives a better idea for that. Will check tomorrow. Head, hide and bones all with nature. Made the effort to drag everything a good distance from that tail.

I think it was on the mature side but not super lengthy, maybe 5.5" head to tail? For scale that's about my height and I'm 150lbs soaking wet lol ... maybe you can guess? Thinking decent "averag-ish" cascade bear.

The hind quarters were particularly chunky and lots of meat overall. Don't quote me on this yet but I THINK that's a 70 gal roughneck rubbermaid the meat is sitting on. I'll look that up too. Definitely going to be a lot of chili, burgers and burritos here over the next year.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 06-02-2024 at 07:26 PM.

Way to go Caddis . Taking an easy one nothing wrong with that !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt The Man In The Arena !

Congrats on the bear, thanks for sharing the story.