Thread: LEH 2024 Moose Hunting - New Areas

Moose Hunting - New Areas (Bagless 28yo)

Looking for recommendations for new areas to hunt, primarily for moose. Looking at the new LEH synopsis and where to apply with the best odds for bull moose. I've typically hunted in 5-15 the last few successful draws but have not come home with any moose the last couple trips (including last year), so looking to spread wings and try new areas. Any recommendations with good odds for bull moose within 8-hour drive of the lower mainland? Not looking for multiple days of travel to get to a hunting area, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Fairly new poster and 28 years old, still on the hunt to bag my first big game animal. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by legendaryuzi; 05-28-2024 at 03:11 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: LEH 2024 Moose Hunting - New Areas

hmmmmm still LOTS OF MOOSE IN 5-15 EAST OF HWY 97
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    hmmmmm still LOTS OF MOOSE IN 5-15 EAST OF HWY 97
    Steven
    FWIW, I've been putting in for the last several years in 5-15 c and had been filling the the freezer. Last year, the last week of September, a group of 4 of us saw only one cow in 6 days of hard hunting. She was freaked out, which seemed unusual for the area. It was suggested to me that the Stewards hit the area hard in the summer, but I don't have evidence of that. I suspect I'll be putting in in region 7-12 or 6-04 this year, but haven't decided
    Last edited by kolofardos; 05-28-2024 at 07:59 PM.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

The wolf packs haven't been thinned out in some areas and they wipe the hell out of the moose populations. And the thousands of fawn/calf eating bears don't help either. 7-12 & 6-4 probably good a bet as any, you have to win an LEH first or you may as well hunt moose around Monty Lake.

Ive hunted 5-15A, A LOT.... only see cows and dink bulls, mostly Grizzlies,,and vast tracks of NOTHING...our system is beyond broken.
    I love that area, but it is very devoid of game,,even the black bears are hiding from the Griz

I jusct came back from 5-15C to help my friends getting black bears. Did not see a single moose or grizzly (I stayed there for four days); saw about 10 bears and harvested two.
    Too many hobbies, too little time.

My suggestion to you would be this. Don't rely on someone else to do your scouting for you. As you put it, you're 28 and looking for your first big game. So, you've got lots of time, so do it right and it will pay off in the long run.

1-If it's leh, then check them out carefully. Sometimes when the odds are very favorable, it might be because access is limited/remote or the game population for which you are applying, is not very good. Don't discount these areas off hand though. Sometimes they can be accessed by water only or maybe by private land. With permission of course.

2-Google earth is a great tool. Study the topography to determine if it's habitat that is likely to support moose. You can do some research to understand moose habitat requirements and what they feed on.
    You will also use google earth to give you a good idea of access and where private land may be. By doing this, put the time in google earth and greatly reduce your time a field and related costs.

3-Then, choose your area of hunt and go for it. You may not be successful your first year, or perhaps the second year, but you will eventually succeed if you are persistent.

4-Have the right attitude. Hunting isn't always about full freezers and bragging about your GREAT hunting prowess. While we all wish to put meat on the table, it should also be about enjoying and appreciating nature and all it has to offer. Finding solitude and quiet away from the everyday struggles this life seems to increasingly weigh on us is truly rewarding in itself.

5- When you do find those truly great spots, keep it to yourself. It's not selfish on your part to do so. You've earned it and besides, if you make it easy for others, they probably won't appreciate it as you would.
    Sorry for the sentimentality here, but as you put it you're 28. All of my children are older than you, and this is exactly the advice I would give my kids.

Best wishes!
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdon View Post
    My suggestion to you would be this. Don't rely on someone else to do your scouting for you. As you put it, you're 28 and looking for your first big game. So, you've got lots of time, so do it right and it will pay off in the long run.

1-If it's leh, then check them out carefully. Sometimes when the odds are very favorable, it might be because access is limited/remote or the game population for which you are applying, is not very good. Don't discount these areas off hand though. Sometimes they can be accessed by water only or maybe by private land. With permission of course.

2-Google earth is a great tool. Study the topography to determine if it's habitat that is likely to support moose. You can do some research to understand moose habitat requirements and what they feed on.
    You will also use google earth to give you a good idea of access and where private land may be. By doing this, put the time in google earth and greatly reduce your time a field and related costs.

3-Then, choose your area of hunt and go for it. You may not be successful your first year, or perhaps the second year, but you will eventually succeed if you are persistent.

4-Have the right attitude. Hunting isn't always about full freezers and bragging about your GREAT hunting prowess. While we all wish to put meat on the table, it should also be about enjoying and appreciating nature and all it has to offer. Finding solitude and quiet away from the everyday struggles this life seems to increasingly weigh on us is truly rewarding in itself.

5- When you do find those truly great spots, keep it to yourself. It's not selfish on your part to do so. You've earned it and besides, if you make it easy for others, they probably won't appreciate it as you would.
    Sorry for the sentimentality here, but as you put it you're 28. All of my children are older than you, and this is exactly the advice I would give my kids.

Best wishes!
    This right here is excellent advice...