Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 2024 leh

Re: 2024 leh

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    its not a tax, you don't have to play the lotto either or buy that raffle ticket if you choose not too.
    100% the LEH is too cheap, but its gotta go back into conservation. If we don't find a way to put more animals back on the landscape, hold industry accountable to do proper rehabilitation to things like roads, seismic lines etc, fund the science that is needed to properly manage and maintain healthy wildlife populations our opportunities will continue to shrink. Rather than bitching about draw odds wouldn't it be nice just to have GOS back? Pretty soon because of the draw odds for a month long hunt, your going to see them break that month into 4 hunts to reduce the odds, which will make a few morons that don't get it and don't give back happy and still not conduct the science required to maintain or RESTORE wildlife populations to historic levels. They got us arguing about the wrong shit constantly and very few actually get it.
    This is 100% the truth people.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    its not a tax, you don't have to play the lotto either or buy that raffle ticket if you choose not too.
    100% the LEH is too cheap, but its gotta go back into conservation. If we don't find a way to put more animals back on the landscape, hold industry accountable to do proper rehabilitation to things like roads, seismic lines etc, fund the science that is needed to properly manage and maintain healthy wildlife populations our opportunities will continue to shrink. Rather than bitching about draw odds wouldn't it be nice just to have GOS back? Pretty soon because of the draw odds for a month long hunt, your going to see them break that month into 4 hunts to reduce the odds, which will make a few morons that don't get it and don't give back happy and still not conduct the science required to maintain or RESTORE wildlife populations to historic levels. They got us arguing about the wrong shit constantly and very few actually get it.
    Throwing more money at a problem never makes it better, they need a new system. The government openly admits they dont even use most of their own surveys and studies, more money wont help their lack of game management. BC is still one of the only places that has antler point restrictions in North America because every other game management unit has proven it leads to lesser genetics and no more game animals. BC also likes to pander to political groups and bleeding hearts to decide game management over most other jurisdictions. BC is also one of the only places that allows rifle hunting during the rut of game animals. Everywhere else closes their season for 2 weeks or makes it more challenging like archery only or muzzle loader. Charging more money for LEH applications or tags is not going to fix this broken system.

Also they need to account for native harvests which they refuse to do but to have accurate wildlife numbers and harvest targets they need to have a rough idea of how many are being taken without a tag.
    - A hunter who doesn't bring home the meat is just an outdoor enthusiast

Got my LEH’s in just now, time to dream and make plans!
    Who am I kidding, where do I go GOS again! Lol
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by BearSupreme View Post
    Throwing more money at a problem never makes it better, they need a new system. The government openly admits they dont even use most of their own surveys and studies, more money wont help their lack of game management. BC is still one of the only places that has antler point restrictions in North America because every other game management unit has proven it leads to lesser genetics and no more game animals. BC also likes to pander to political groups and bleeding hearts to decide game management over most other jurisdictions. BC is also one of the only places that allows rifle hunting during the rut of game animals. Everywhere else closes their season for 2 weeks or makes it more challenging like archery only or muzzle loader. Charging more money for LEH applications or tags is not going to fix this broken system.

Also they need to account for native harvests which they refuse to do but to have accurate wildlife numbers and harvest targets they need to have a rough idea of how many are being taken without a tag.
    They need to know what we actually have for animals, huntable game and predators. Knowing what is actually killed each year is a fools game, a cheap way to try and justify poor game management. Pissing on a tree over first nations harvest is so goofy, how many game animals are killed by bears?wolves?trains?cars?starvation?drownings?stuc k in mud? I couldn't care less about how many game animals are taken other than for general statistics, at best it just provides ammunition for the anti hunting crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    They need to know what we actually have for animals, huntable game and predators. Knowing what is actually killed each year is a fools game, a cheap way to try and justify poor game management. Pissing on a tree over first nations harvest is so goofy, how many game animals are killed by bears?wolves?trains?cars?starvation?drownings?stuc k in mud? I couldn't care less about how many game animals are taken other than for general statistics, at best it just provides ammunition for the anti hunting crowd.
    More data the better, why can't the indians report just like everyone else?
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Im not pissing on native harvest, im just saying their numbers arent accounted for and they need to be. When the LEH comes out and says that 45 bull moose can be harvested in an area and that isnt accounting for the 45 bulls and cows the natives might take (just using a number for arguments sake) it throws off their estimates for what numbers are sustainable in that area. They are also suggesting that anyone who buys a moose tag will have to report on their moose hunting during the year to help with their management. Again, if they are only taking one portion of the hunting into consideration then they will never get accurate hunting numbers or limits. Pretty simple logic
    - A hunter who doesn't bring home the meat is just an outdoor enthusiast

Real science , Real facts , Real statistics , is needed to make sound wildlife decisions ! Am I right ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt The Man In The Arena !

Quote Originally Posted by BearSupreme View Post
    Im not pissing on native harvest, im just saying their numbers arent accounted for and they need to be. When the LEH comes out and says that 45 bull moose can be harvested in an area and that isnt accounting for the 45 bulls and cows the natives might take (just using a number for arguments sake) it throws off their estimates for what numbers are sustainable in that area. They are also suggesting that anyone who buys a moose tag will have to report on their moose hunting during the year to help with their management. Again, if they are only taking one portion of the hunting into consideration then they will never get accurate hunting numbers or limits. Pretty simple logic
    Regarding FN harvest, we've actually been making progress on this front. Both that bands agree to report harvests, and that any inter-band hunting is documented.

What we as hunters fail to realize, is the magnitude of road kill. We whine about the harvest of 45 moose, or that an FN harvest is 40 bulls and we aren't considering that in wildlife management regulations.
    I've been asking Gov Bio's to recognize that road kill (something everyone can do something about) is 'harvesting' far more animals than resident hunters and FN. Road kill is indiscriminate, random and lasts all year. Local studies, collected using citizen science and road kill collection, suggests road kill is double most hunting harvests. That does not include railway mortality.

Want to give wildlife a chance and turn the downward trend on wildlife populations? Let's address road and rail kill and include that in the decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Regarding FN harvest, we've actually been making progress on this front. Both that bands agree to report harvests, and that any inter-band hunting is documented.

What we as hunters fail to realize, is the magnitude of road kill. We whine about the harvest of 45 moose, or that an FN harvest is 40 bulls and we aren't considering that in wildlife management regulations.
    I've been asking Gov Bio's to recognize that road kill (something everyone can do something about) is 'harvesting' far more animals than resident hunters and FN. Road kill is indiscriminate, random and lasts all year. Local studies, collected using citizen science and road kill collection, suggests road kill is double most hunting harvests. That does not include railway mortality.

Want to give wildlife a chance and turn the downward trend on wildlife populations? Let's address road and rail kill and include that in the decisions.
    Agree 100% here. Driving from outside of town into town everyday for the past 10 years has been eye opening for how many animals get hit just on my little chunk of highway alone(Fort Steele to Cranbrook). It floors me when I see the dead animals, ICBC has tons of money and knows the hot spots. Why not invest in their future profits by helping get these animals across the highway/railways safely, it would reduce collisions and their expenses quite drastically I would think. While it would be a costly initiative up front they would reap the benefits long term, as would our wildlife. I do how ever think that we will never get CPKCRail to ever do anything about it, they simply do not care from what I have seen and heard.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaholic View Post
    Agree 100% here. Driving from outside of town into town everyday for the past 10 years has been eye opening for how many animals get hit just on my little chunk of highway alone(Fort Steele to Cranbrook). It floors me when I see the dead animals, ICBC has tons of money and knows the hot spots. Why not invest in their future profits by helping get these animals across the highway/railways safely, it would reduce collisions and their expenses quite drastically I would think. While it would be a costly initiative up front they would reap the benefits long term, as would our wildlife. I do how ever think that we will never get CPKCRail to ever do anything about it, they simply do not care from what I have seen and heard.
    I was in Halifax last year for the Supply Chain Forum and CN Rail was there doing a big dog-&-pony show. I asked the main guy about all the wildlife killed and he chuckled and basically said, "yup, lots get killed....but at least that is a West Coast issue".

We are an economy and if it doesn't make money no one seems to care.