Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: How many grizzlies are being killed?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,550

    Re: How many grizzlies are being killed?

    The issue isn’t so much grizz human conflict, it’s how many elk/moose calves they eat.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Region 7
    Posts
    1,840

    Re: How many grizzlies are being killed?

    Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    The issue isn’t so much grizz human conflict, it’s how many elk/moose calves they eat.
    Bang on.
    Your other answer of “not enough” to the original question was also spot on.
    I know ranchers who’ve been in the heart of grizzly country for decades that never had problems like they do now. They can’t even walk out the front door without worrying about having a gun handy.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,386

    Re: How many grizzlies are being killed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Chaser View Post
    Bang on.
    Your other answer of “not enough” to the original question was also spot on.
    I know ranchers who’ve been in the heart of grizzly country for decades that never had problems like they do now. They can’t even walk out the front door without worrying about having a gun handy.
    100% and I am willing to bet there are a few buried on ranches every year, not counting the ones shot by mistake by inexperienced black bear hunters

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    557

    Re: How many grizzlies are being killed?

    The guides and outfitters DEFINITELY are not shooting them all of the time....
    WSSBC Life Member

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    2,016

    Re: How many grizzlies are being killed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    The grizzly bear hunt was ended in BC, anybody have any idea of the effect that has had on all cause mortality of grizzly bears? Hunters aren't killing them but has car/train collisions increased? Does BC even have such stats?
    ICBC seems to be a driver to some wildlife management decisions, maybe they have files on wildlife/vehicle interactions
    Often thought the info could be used as an indicator for population trends, collisions going up or down may reflect local pop number changes, for any species really
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

    Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    2,016

    Re: How many grizzlies are being killed?

    Clayton Lamb did a good paper on road density and the impact on gbears

    Proctor, M, McLellan B.M, Stenhouse, G.B, Mowat, G., Lamb CT, Boyce, M.S. 2020. Effects of roads and motorized human access on grizzly bear populations in British Columbia and Alberta, Canada.
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

    Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Pemberton BC
    Posts
    1,681

    Re: How many grizzlies are being killed?

    Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    ICBC seems to be a driver to some wildlife management decisions, maybe they have files on wildlife/vehicle interactions
    Often thought the info could be used as an indicator for population trends, collisions going up or down may reflect local pop number changes, for any species really

    I was thinking similarly
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    As far back as my feet will get me.
    Posts
    1,929

    Re: How many grizzlies are being killed?

    How many are being killed? Not enough than there has been since the closure.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North of Hope
    Posts
    2,582

    Re: How many grizzlies are being killed?

    Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    The guides and outfitters DEFINITELY are not shooting them all of the time....
    That is the truth, and now the bears have no commercial value much like a gopher.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Prince George
    Posts
    23

    Re: How many grizzlies are being killed?

    Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    The guides and outfitters DEFINITELY are not shooting them all of the time....
    And the govt DEFINETLY isn't encouraging the bands to exercise their rights in an attempt to manage grizzly populations under the table

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •