Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Restoration of Grizzly Bears in Northern Cascades (Washington)

Re: Restoration of Grizzly Bears in Northern Cascades (Washington)

We have a cabin in Tulameen, 8-5, a quick hop over the hills to 2-1 and 2-2.
    About 20 years ago or so there was a "Town Hall" Meeting over a plan to move some grizzlies into Manning as they had been "extirpated" from the area over time.
    Quite the attendance, residents, FSP's ( "effing Summer People" ), ranchers, farmers and such.
    A lot of concern was expressed, danger to cattle, humans, whatever and such as it's really not that far from where they were to be placed to Tulameen.
    The presenters said there were no grizzlies in the area, the intent was to restore them back to traditional territory over time.
    At the back of the room were a number of local ranchers and when the presenters said thee were no grizzlies around they broke out laughing and said "they are already here."
    Ultimately, nothing ever happened.
    Maybe 2 or 3 years later the Good Wife and I took our dogs for a hike across the Tulameen River, through the woods to an old road that we would follow. We got to the road, I look down the road and crap, there's a small Grizzly maybe 50 yards away from us. I tell the Good Wife to leash up the dogs and we turn around and get outta there in a hurry.
    I had always joked with my Wife about not being worried about being able to outrun a bear, I just had to outrun her, always pissed her off when I said that.
    She leads the way to the River, I'm bringing up the rear keeping an eye out for the Bear.
    We get to the River and rather than the usual shallow crossing, she's led us to a place where the River is quite deep. I said "Why did you lead us to here, you know I can't swim??" She looks at me with an evil smile and says "I know."
    Anyways, we got across then the next day I went back, found the bear tracks and it was a grizzly.
    Only one we've seen in the 25 years we've been there but yes, Grizzlies are in the area already.

Once they become established, you have to be bear aware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFnRyIcGDgI

The footage above was taken just last week in Mountainview county, which is 25 kms. west of Cardston I believe. Even the driver admits he was lucky he was in a truck when he came upon the sow and the three cubs.

I can't believe how quickly/easily she got through that fence! Didn't even slow her down!

Quote Originally Posted by britman101 View Post

The footage above was taken just last week in Mountainview county, which is 25 kms. west of Cardston I believe. Even the driver admits he was lucky he was in a truck when he came upon the sow and the three cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by britman101 View Post

Wow that's sure is something.... fence? What fence? That truck chasing us? I'll have a go at it!

Traveling with our dogs I turned off of hwy 3 between Manning and Princeton 4 years ago to let them run and have a pee. About a km off the highway on an overgrown road I was about to park when we jumped a lone male grizzly, surprised the hell out of us. Ended up going another good couple kms in a hurry to make sure it was ok to let the dogs out safely. We didn't see him on the way out he had showed zero interest in being near us and booked it directly away from the trail when we disturbed him. Google maps says this was 20 kms NE of the Manning lodge. So pretty good bet there's already grizzlies in the park.
    Last edited by Salty; 04-30-2024 at 10:10 AM.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Lower lameland is already surrounded by them. I’ve seen them in Squamish. And around grizzly falls in Boston bar. They are on the Indian river also soooo what’s to stop them from being in upper Pitt They fallow the elk it’s only a matter of time before one pops out in maple ridge. Or mission. If it hasn’t happened already
    It’s not really a big deal. Until it becomes one haha

If there is such a shortage of grizly bears in BC that we are not allowed to hunt them why are we exporting them to the US. Another government give away?

Bernie, I understand your statement is a bit rhetorical and Im sure most already know cancelling our G bear hunt had SFA to do with bear numbers and sustainability and everything to do with politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Bernie, I understand your statement is a bit rhetorical and Im sure most already know cancelling our G bear hunt had SFA to do with bear numbers and sustainability and everything to do with politics.
    Grizzly Hunting is not going to make a comeback for hunters anytime soon. Grizzlies are not the sole property of hunters but to all Canadian so yes non hunters have a voice.. I've expressed my opinion before that a grizzly hunt is nothing more than a trophy hunt and would become an issue. Simply taking the hide and head not having to pack out the meat had a bad optic around the world. Alaska sees the writing on the wall and been reviewing their policies and may incorporate a requirement to pack out the meat as opposition is starting to increase. What you do with your meat once you get home is your choice. i believe had hunters been required to pack the meat out there would be a limited grizzly hunt still available in B.C . Of course this is just my opinion.

That was brought up previously before the total ban went in place...and from what I was told the response from the 'Stop the Trophy Hunt' squad was that they immediately saw right through the ruse, and said if it is not a trophy hunt then the hunter would have to leave the hide and skull in the bush and only take the meat out. It is what I was told by a person involved and lobbying to keep the hunt...can't say it surprised me really. The opposition is not brain dead and they have a plan and a lot of backing.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.