Do you want to help support HBC? You can contribute through e-transfer to marc@huntingbc.ca or via PayPal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Come Alongs

Re: Come Alongs

Lugalls are very good, just be careful the handles will fail if you overload them. I have rescue rope and pulleys, but it really starts getting to be alot of gear to set up a 5 or 6:1 reduction with 1-200’ of close to 1” diameter line and even then you need a small come a long to manage the weight of a truck. 5000# with a 5:1 reduction still needs 1000# of pull and your safety factor on the mainline is minimal

Once I’m done with the tirfor I lay the cable out straight and starting at the end with the hook I twist it as I make the loops once all the loops are made and it’s almost all rolled up i put the cable through the loop 3-4 times and then tape it in a few places.
    it may seem like a lot or a pain in the ass but it keeps the cable neat and tidy. Then the cable tirfor and handle goes into a duffle bag until next time.
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Nice thing about a tirfor is the cable length doesn’t have to be long. You can pull 10’ then reset and add a rope to the end if you need a longer reach.
    If your pulling a stuck truck ten feet is often all you need.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

you can get 9-1 with two 3:1 Z rigs and minimal rope doubled back...

Quote Originally Posted by Muledeercrazy2 View Post
    Lugalls are very good, just be careful the handles will fail if you overload them. I have rescue rope and pulleys, but it really starts getting to be alot of gear to set up a 5 or 6:1 reduction with 1-200’ of close to 1” diameter line and even then you need a small come a long to manage the weight of a truck. 5000# with a 5:1 reduction still needs 1000# of pull and your safety factor on the mainline is minimal

I've got one of these cable pullers:
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...l?rq=winch#srp

its falling apart now and needs to be replaced (you get what you pay for), but it's pulled my 1500 out of the shit a few times!

Gentlemen, Thank you for the information and suggestions. I learned a lot. Firstly I ditched my "fence puller" rather than repair it.
    I ended up with a 3 ton CM Lever Chain Host. A Millwright friend had one he was not using so he gave it to me. I have played with it a bit
    in my back yard. I am going to do a training scenario with it in the bush to make sure I know how to use it correctly (and safely).

There was a reason he didn't use it. Even the aluminum CM 3 ton is going to be heavy. When I millwrighted in sawmills, a 1/2 ton CM was always on my shoulder. The 1/2 tons had an overload slip clutch, which sometimes needed adjustment and should be keep half ass clean. Because 3 tons are heavy, so rarely used, it should be good.While CM is no longer around, there should be a manual on the net. 'ell with a 3 ton if you can't pull a p/u out, you can lift it out.

Downwindtracker2; I found a pdf manual on line, thanks. I will read up on it which will save me some grief down the road.