Do you want to help support HBC? You can contribute through e-transfer to marc@huntingbc.ca or via PayPal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Come Alongs

Come Alongs

I have to buy a new come along for my F150. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what kind I should get?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Come Alongs

If you are an old boyscout and rope rescue technician like me you might prefer a long rope, a rope grab (prussik) and a few pullies...way more versatile...but good luck on what ever you decide

I am going to look into that. I have the skills and the material. Thanks.

Tirfor Jack .That's what we called them in the construction industry. But instead of having to buy the genuine German ones, Princess Auto has what they call a cable puller ?. I think I saw one in the latest flyer. I never had one myself, just always wanted one. The ones you don't want are the barb wire fence stretchers so common. Better a chain come-a-long. For hauling moose out, a long heavy hemp rope and snatch block or two. Hemp ropes don't stretch, you just have to look after them.

A couple of hunting buddies, bought Lewis Winches, a chain saw winch. There are knock-offs around of them ,too.

I like the “Lug All” brand .... nice light unit ... and will do the job ... little bit higher priced, but it works good.

I looked them up, it seems I already have one. I don't know if it's that brand, but it was made in the States . The nice thing about it, it fits, with shorted pipe handle, in a 5 gallon pail. We used them on the Site One dam construction. The main contractor was an American outfit. I guess that's why we got them. I much preferred Tirfor Jacks for long pulling and chain come-a-a longs for lifting and a lot of other work that didn't need distance. Both are much handier.

Thumbs up Re: Come Alongs

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    Tirfor Jack .
    Been packing one with the 4 ton capacity for years.
    Work very VERY Well!

Cheers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I have both tirfor and a Lewis winch, both are awesome tools to have in your kit.
    not much I can’t move when I need to.
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

I know this is a bit more than a come a long but liking the idea of these below . I’m not a rigging expert but I would think doubling up with snatch blocks would increase the load pull with the basic model.

The moose we got this year we used a truck with ropes and pulleys and it was a lot because we could not do a straight pull where the machine below might have been a huge asset . I must say though I bought 100 feet of Bull Dog synthetic winch rope to take up hunting and used it in the rigging for the moose and it held up like a champ . Available at Lordco
    https://www.portablewinch.ca/

Then theres these https://www.maasdam.com/rope-pullers.html

And these https://thearboriststore.com/product...6-amsteel-blue

Anyone used any of the above please let me know .Thanks !
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 11-26-2023 at 09:19 AM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Tirfors work great…. Usually a real wrestling match to roll up the cable neatly though