Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: November moose in 3-26

November moose in 3-26

Anyone have any tactics they’d care to pass on for post rut moose in the Shuswap area? I grew up there, and went with friends to hunt moose there as a kid, but things have likely changed a bunch in the past 40 years

After 30 failed attempts at a draw where I always put a lot of effort in to picking my codes, and getting them in early, I decided to not give a shit and not enter this year. Then my “son” texted me his codes for this year, and without really giving it any thought, I entered at literally the last minute. I joked with him that I’d probably draw this year since I put zero effort into research etc. Well, here we are with me getting a fairly high odds draw.

I know some areas that used to hold moose, but as a “novice” moose hunter, my knowledge of post rut behaviour and likely habitat is basically zero. Thanks in advance to all you moose gurus that might offer some advice or help!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: November moose in 3-26

40 yrs? a few things have changed but not the needs of critters, feed and solitude being the top two
    I'd be heading for the absolute newest cutblock, looking for the ones that haven't got used to the idea that their former refuge is now not so safe
    Other than that maybe just use the snow cover to show fresh sign, moose have a relatively small home turf
    By Nov most of the other hunters have quit but the animals are still holed up in the thick due to earlier pressures
    3-26 is one of those zones where you'll run into a few Reg8 guys cross-border shopping after the seasons are closed closer to home

just some early morning ramblings over a first coffee, nice draw, good luck
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

3-26 is one of the best moose tags to get IMO. I have been successful in killing a November moose in the past (not 3-26) and some things i have learned are as follows:
    - Get out of the truck. I have yet to see a moose during hunting season from the road. Happens to people every year, just not me. Spend long periods of time hiking through snow into cut blocks and swamps / meadows. You will see a ton of sign which will let you know which cuts are being used more than others.
    - Early Early morning. This is when i have seen the most moose, and in November they seem to be lying down 1.5 - 2hrs after the sun comes up.
    - The cut block that doesnt have road access, but lots of moose sign - thats where i would be at first light.

For 3-26 hunting up above falkland has produced some very nice moose in the past. My buddies killed a nice one up there around 10 years ago. Issue with November is that the snow can pile up quick. Bring lots of chains and recovery equipment.
    I have also seen lots of moose late season while deer hunting up by White lake, but never any bulls, only cows. But where there are cows, there should be bulls.
    -

Was deer hunting mid November for mulies just across the the shuswap from 3-26. Ran into 6 bulls while road hunting and checking new country. They will be trying to fatten up after the rut so look for places with good feed.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Thanks for the great responses guys! At that time of year, is there any particular browse they would be feeding on?

Waaaah you got mah draw!

Seen quite a few moose up there, some giant bulls in fact. Actually one time I was sick and heaving on the side of an FSR they're and inadvertently called in a huge bull moose that came to check me out

Will send you a PM

You guys on here all rock! The amount of great info coming in by PM is a sign of how well we support each other here. Thanks so much to one and all!

You got my DRAW!! Lol. I live on Bolean Lake road. I know where the moose rut in the southern portion of the MU in October. They don’t tend to stick around in November at that spot, but depends on snow. DM me in the fall of you want a hand.

Thanks Scotty!

Be prepared for icy conditions.
    Chains,salt,tiger torch..ice rated tires and appropriate weight. Depending on the year safe access will be key..come along and lots of rope for your truck never mind the moose. Last year winter came on halloween and didnt not leave until may. Moose generaly live in pockets hunt the sign.