Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Season's end

Bow Walker Guest

Season's end

Next weekend ends the hunting season down in this neck of the woods. Time to inspect the equipment and do any necessary tuning/repair work that has been put on the back burner before you put your hunting rig away.

Let's see some thoughts and/or tips about "end-of-season-putting-to-bed" of your hunting bow.

I'll start with the obvious;

Closely inspect the bow for wear and tear on the strings or cables. Either re-serve or replace as necessary.

Anybody else have a tip or two to share?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Season's end

#1- wipe tears away with the kleenex that has the lotion in it- helps bigtime../)
    #2- baileys to forget that the seasons gone??

Quote Originally Posted by ianwuzhere View Post
    #1- wipe tears away with the kleenex that has the lotion in it- helps bigtime../)
    love it (lol)
    yep that's what I said

if you store your bow ... back the limbs off ..to releive some of the stress
    wax the heck outta yer string and cable harness ...(or replace)
    try to hang your bow rather than leave it in the case

keep its living quarters comfortable ie; not extreme cold/heat or moisture ... a rule of thumb ...if you are comfortable ...so is your bow

This year i am gonna 3D with my hunting bow and turn my 3D bow into a paper puncher ....Or sell it .and buy another ..not sure witch yet

Season ending procedure.

Hang the bow up and check out the new scratches and with warm thoughts consider the memories that made them.

Don't destring it, don't take the arrows out. Nothing. Just hang it up.

Pick it up in the spring, change the colour of the camo and go again.

PS, Whitetailin is just startin here. Was out today in 6" of fresh white. Tree stands are set up, got the wall tent set up and ready for the next 20 days.

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ianwuzhere View Post
    Heheheh.....good one - although I might substitute something else for the Baileys.

Bowzone_Mikey....keep its living quarters comfortable ie; not extreme cold/heat or moisture ... a rule of thumb ...if you are comfortable ...so is your bow
    Very good point Mikey - I'm going out to get my two outta the Archery/work shop right now. Couple of rubberized hooks in the basement should do the trick.

I'm going to bring in my glues and oils as well - don't want them out there in the freezing weather.

Any other thoughts?

my plans are to restring my bow and use the off-season to get the stretch out of the string & cables and retune.

Also its a great time to practice, practice, practice. No sense in leaving your bow on a shelf all winter!
    Animals gotta die too - Don't let them survive you!

Bow Walker Guest

No indeedy! 3D season is set to both wind down - with the Nanaimo Turkey Shoot - and get back into high gear just after NYrs.

Looking forward to it.

Bow Walker Guest

Anybody spend time going over their babys and tightening nuts, screws, and/or bolts? Hunting and 3D rigs will definitely benefit from this type of close inspection.

Vibration is a bugger for loosening otherwise tight connections.

Crossbows as well...

G'day lads,

Over here we hunt all year so no real need to pack the gear away, plus I use my hunting rig for all my shooting all I change is the field points for broadheads.

On the subject of loose bolts etc, when I set up my rig I use a small drop of nail polish on all bolts etc, works just like locktite but not so tough.

Cheers Noel