Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: School Indoctrination by the anti gun lobby

School Indoctrination by the anti gun lobby

Before I graduated 2 years ago from highschool in Port coquitlam, I was shown Micheal Moore's film "Bowling for Columbine" a total of 6 or 7 times in 2 years of highschool. For those of you who havent watched it, Micheal Moore gleefully makes use of the Columbine tradgedy, to try and convince his audience that guns are only owned by rednecks and need to be seized. In none of the times that I was forced to watch this was there ever a rebuttal offerred, and NEVER was gun control part of any cirriculum in which the movie was shown. It should come as no surprise that virtually everyone, myself included walked out of class angry agaisnt all gun owners and Mr. Heston (head of NRA). I know this isnt happening just in my school, and I am very afraid that tomorrow's voters will not acknowledge our rights to legally own guns. My questions to you are:

1- What are your thoughts on this matter?
    2- Can anything be done about this?
    ________
    buy glass pipes
    Last edited by Eichelherr; 02-07-2011 at 07:39 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: School Indoctrination by the anti gun lobby

It's just one opinion, and in lots of cases, no amount of logic will change that opinion. It's not that we shouldn't try, just don't worry too much if it doesn't work.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eichelherr View Post
    Before I graduated 2 years ago from highschool in Port coquitlam, I was shown Micheal Moore's film "Bowling for Columbine" a total of 6 or 7 times in 2 years of highschool. For those of you who havent watched it, Micheal Moore gleefully makes use of the Columbine tradgedy, to try and convince his audience that guns are only owned by rednecks and need to be seized. In none of the times that I was forced to watch this was there ever a rebuttal offerred, and NEVER was gun control part of any cirriculum in which the movie was shown. It should come as no surprise that virtually everyone, myself included walked out of class angry agaisnt all gun owners and Mr. Heston (head of NRA). I know this isnt happening just in my school, and I am very afraid that tomorrow's voters will not acknowledge our rights to legally own guns. My questions to you are:

1- What are your thoughts on this matter?
    2- Can anything be done about this?

Yeh they are showing the Gore movie also--same shit different pile.
    I know the local grade twelve science class spent a day watching "Ice Age" you know the cartoon with the sabre tooth tiger and the mastodon and the sloth.A very relevant documentary in the class of Moore and Gore--Tax dollars at work.
    Last edited by horshur; 11-29-2007 at 10:14 AM.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Fish & game clubs can, and should be a major part of the antidotal solution to the fear mongering anti-gun lobby.
    One of the best initiatives I've seen, so far, was the effort of the Kelowna Fish & Game Club. One weekend, toward the end of October, they invited
    more than 200 guests from the community including kids, moms, dads, grandparents, and Big Brothers to their annual Fall Shoot. MAny of these folks have never seen a firearm close-up, and everyone was given an opportunity to take a shot under close supervision.
    The efforts went a long way in defeating the sharp toothed, bloody handed, knuckle dragging image many in the community have of our legitimate hunting/shooting brothers.
    The other real nice part is that the proceeds from the initiative went to the club's Junior Program.
    Hats off to Kelowna F&G!
    if you want the full story, it's in the BCWF Newsletter for November.
    It's only when you see a mosquito land on your testicles that you realize there are other ways to deal with problems than violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    It's just one opinion, and in lots of cases, no amount of logic will change that opinion. It's not that we shouldn't try, just don't worry too much if it doesn't work.
    I think the issue is being missed...

The issue here is that young minds (the people who will decide the future of the country) are being shown movies about how guns are bad, and therefore our rights in the future will be in the hands of a bunch of misinformed gun haters (more so than now)

I sat through the whole thing about 4 times in my high school career. Every time i made sure to state loudly and pointedly that this was all bogus, that it is untrue, and that Michael Moore is a complete and utter idiot for calling his PROPAGANDA a documentary.

Michael Moore tries his damndest (even pulls out his NRA membership card) to show that he understands our side, but the guy is an idiot.

Seems to think he has the answer to all lifes problems...but the guy is a total utter moron.

My recommendation is that these movies be followed by a discussion on both sides of the argument, not just his. Also, for any movie rated above PG, there should be parental consent (not just for content, but for the bullsh*t propaganda)

Please note that i try and not stoop to using words like moron (not once in any of my posts), but M.Moore deserves everything he gets

As for the teachers. If you hear of this happening in your school...teachers are not allowed to put their political views into the kids. You can have their job, (or at the very least a severe reprimand). People dont look kindly at the "Minds of the nation" instilling propaganda into youth. We did it at my old school after things got out of hand. Dont hesitate to do it at yours.
    Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left. ~Aldo Leopold

Michael Moore is the Bill O'Reilly of the left, both are savy, manipulative, idealogical dumb ass's. I'm sorry to see his films are used as a part of a curriculum without any form of counter point.

Write a letter to the school district and school that are showing these political viewed one sided movies. That these are not appropriate materials to show in class because they are NOT ministry approved and that they are not presenting both sides of the story. IMO you cannot be a teacher without being objective or able to receive some criticism about what is being taught.

One counter swing to this is the efforts of the Chilliwack Fish and Game (Club) Protective Association. They have been running a outdoor skills youth camp for the last 4 years. This gives up to 20 young people ages 12-16? the opportunity to 1. learn basic outdoor skills and safety, 2. take the CORE and PAL programs in a class setting with their peers, 3. spend time on the rifle range learning safe handling skills, basic shooting skills and give them the opportunity to fire a lot of rounds to develop marksmanship. It is the only camp of its kind in B.C. I also know that they have a waiting list every year if someone doesn't show. The teaching and supervision is provided by volunteers from the club and community, with the PAL and CORE courses taught by certified instructors.

Temporary Hi-jack

Events like this go a long way to starting the next generation off right. However, this is in jeopardy. The chairperson for the program has resigned after four years. The club is looking for someone to take over his role. It is a significant time commitment, but there are many volunteers already involved. Please consider this if you have the time and are a Member of the Chilliwack Fish and Game Club. If you want to volunteer, then contact the club. You can never have enough volunteers.

Quote Originally Posted by Browningmirage View Post
    As for the teachers. If you hear of this happening in your school...teachers are not allowed to put their political views into the kids. You can have their job, (or at the very least a severe reprimand). People dont look kindly at the "Minds of the nation" instilling propaganda into youth. We did it at my old school after things got out of hand. Dont hesitate to do it at yours.
    Blame the teacher There are more layers to showing controversial documentaries than the obvious 'anti' or 'climate change' perspectives. These movies are generally shown in order to generate discussion and promote critical thinking skills (something that is mandated in the BC curriculum).

Quote Originally Posted by Tarp Man View Post
    One counter swing to this is the efforts of the Chilliwack Fish and Game (Club) Protective Association. They have been running a outdoor skills youth camp for the last 4 years. This gives up to 20 young people ages 12-16? the opportunity to 1. learn basic outdoor skills and safety, 2. take the CORE and PAL programs in a class setting with their peers, 3. spend time on the rifle range learning safe handling skills, basic shooting skills and give them the opportunity to fire a lot of rounds to develop marksmanship. It is the only camp of its kind in B.C. I also know that they have a waiting list every year if someone doesn't show. The teaching and supervision is provided by volunteers from the club and community, with the PAL and CORE courses taught by certified instructors.

Temporary Hi-jack

Events like this go a long way to starting the next generation off right. However, this is in jeopardy. The chairperson for the program has resigned after four years. The club is looking for someone to take over his role. It is a significant time commitment, but there are many volunteers already involved. Please consider this if you have the time and are a Member of the Chilliwack Fish and Game Club. If you want to volunteer, then contact the club. You can never have enough volunteers.
    An excellent inititive! I wish that there be MORE like it and people willing to put in the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Direct Hit View Post
    Blame the teacher There are more layers to showing controversial documentaries than the obvious 'anti' or 'climate change' perspectives. These movies are generally shown in order to generate discussion and promote critical thinking skills (something that is mandated in the BC curriculum).
    .... Maybe these movies could be followed up w/ a hunting DVD or two.

Moore vs. Shockey - Me like's

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean