Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archery in B.C. Seniors Games

Archery in B.C. Seniors Games

I guess it's about time to start encouraging all old codgers like me to begin getting ready for the B.C. Seniors Games.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the set-up, the games are run each year in various parts of the province. This year they are in and around the Cowichan Valley/Duncan. There are numerous events, ranging from bridge and bocce to hockey and swimming. Last year in Penticton, the oldest participant was something like 97 and he was playing badminton.

Archery was absent from the menu for several years and was reintroduced last year. Those who entered had a wonderful time and it was well organized, both for the Penticton venue and looking ahead for future years. Now that we have our foot in the door, it's really important to build on last year's success and keep it going.

And you don't have to be all that ancient to participate. There are several age categories: 50-54, 55-59, and 65+. It's also divided into equipment and gender categories.

This year will be super fun because the event is divided into 3 types of shooting over the 3 days of the event - a Canadian 900 round (3 shots each from 35, 45, and 55 m), a day of 3D on a gentle course, and a "Canada Field Round" (I don't know what that one is yet).

So, all you alleged seniors out there - start thinking seriously about this and get into the fray. Guaranteed, it's going to be great fun.

More information here:

www.bcseniorsgames.org

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Archery in B.C. Seniors Games

Canuck went to the web site and not much info on the events. how do i find out more about categories etc. Might be a nice trip for an old coot. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Bow Walker Guest

If I'm going to be in my old codger age and wander around, I might as well wander over to shoot a few arrows.

Keep us up to date on times and dates please.....oh yeah, qualifications needed??

Good to see you guys contemplating this already. The games are August 24 to 27, with the shooting to be 25-27.

Once on the seniors games home page, click on 'Rule Book'. When you get to that page, click on the big rectangle that has the games logo in it and the heading 'Rules and Regulations'. I think you need adobe acrobat to read this 100+ page document. Zone information starts on page 5 and archery on page 87.

You will need to get the qualifier shoot date and location from your zone rep. It will be a Canadian 900 round. Unless there is an extraordinary amount of interest in a specific zone, most anyone who shoots the qualifier will have a spot on the zone team.

If you have other questions or can't access the rule book, just holler. I'll do my best to answer any queries you have. Sure hope you jump into the fray.
    Last edited by Canuck2; 03-23-2005 at 09:20 AM.

Bow Walker Guest

Unhappy Re: Archery in B.C. Seniors Games

Canuck2,
    followed your instructions and clicked on the games rectangle. All I got was a blank page. I do have Adobe Reader, so I am unsure as to what the problem is. Can you help?

Thanks,
    Dan

Dan, sometimes my computer takes almost forever to have a document like this appear. The first couple of times I gave up, wondering what was wrong. Maybe your computer was just thinking?

If you have no luck, I can certainly print it off and send it to you via regular mail. Let me know if you'd prefer that.

Jack

Bow Walker Guest

[QUOTE=Canuck2]
    Maybe your computer was just thinking?/QUOTE]

Does the acronym G.I.G.O. mean anything?

Garbage In - Garbage Out.

My computer Think? That would mean that the person hammerin' at the keyboard might possibly have a brain?

Seriously though, I use Internet Explorer and when I access a new page there is a message bar at the bottom that lets me know the status of the "page loading".

When I tried to access the page the message read "Done" and still nothing. I will try it from another angle, though, and let you know if I need more assistance.

Thanks,
    Dan.

Didn't our Canuck2 take a prize last year at the Senior Games??? Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Hmm, I've been found out. It's true - I did take a silver medal. But my wife says, since it's the Seniors games, it's colour is actually grey.

How about you Fred? You gonna make it this year?

how do you seniors manage to shoot without catching up your bottom limb in your walker???

Sorry....couldn't help myself!!
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson