Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Archery Buffalo, story and vid.

Archery Buffalo, story and vid.

I’m trying to keep this short, please bare with me:

Saturday Morning, bright and early I’m out in the shop getting a few last things ready to go. My bow is sighted in, but I can’t resist one last practice shot in the shop, before I finally head out. Bow is cranked up to 78 lbs pull, and the practice target is still against the back wall. I make the draw, and something goes CRACK………. pain explodes up through my neck and into the base of my skull………..when I can see again, my bow is still in my left hand (pointed at the ground), and my right hand is gripping the Argo backrest beside me, supporting most of my weight. I carefully look up, and see my arrow stuck in the back wall, a good 9 ft from the target, my razor sharp Broad head buried in the plywood…………I could hardly move.
    I carefully made my way to my truck, the Chiropractor is only in town 2 days a week, and this is one of those days. I make my way to his office bld and get there before he does. Now, I don’t particularly like “Bone Benders” they kinda scare me actually, and now that I got myself there, and have a little spare time, I find myself reflecting on this particular ones name……..Dr. Mangel…………This is not the best way to start the day.

Mangel arrives, and after only one glance in my direction gets a gleam in his eye. He knows he’s about to make some money. He guides me into the torture chamber, and helps me to lie on the “rack”. After some poking, prodding, and a few creaks and cracks he gently grabs my head and violently tries to rip it off, resulting in a teeth grating CRUNCH that turns my bones to water (not only did I feel it, but I could also “hear” it, INSIDE my head). If I hadn’t already been laying down at that point, I would have been after that…………When I could breath again, I faintly heard him ask………”Will that be cash or charge?”.
    Feeling much better, if a little sore, I head back home to finish getting ready to go. I grab the rest of my gear, get the Argo loaded, and away I go.
    Arriving at my destination, I take the Argo and make my way back into the area that I think will present me with a shot. I stash the machine a little way off the trail and walk into the bush. The area I chose is a little on the swampy side most of the time, but since everything is frozen right now, that was not a problem. The going was actually pretty easy, but it was really hard to be “sneaky” with the thin layer of crunchy snow underfoot. The area was “kind of” open, but not really, very “willowy”, you’ll see in the vid. I crossed some very good tracks, and managed to creep in on a herd, but had to back off a couple times. These Buffalo were pretty wary and it’s hard to sneak up on that many eyes. I finally managed to get around them and work into a position where they were coming to me. Now all I had to do was sit tight and hope neither they nor the wind changed direction.

Continued,
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Archery Buffalo, story and vid.

They did work there way in to me, but they were pretty skittish, they suspected something was up and I had very little cover (just a clump of willows at my back to break up my outline). I had a nice clear shooting lane that part of the herd worked through. Patiently I waited for a clean shot, I had my eye on the last one in this little group. Looked to be about a 3yr old, I didn’t want anything too big, as I was hunting solo. Finally, I was rewarded with a clean look at my target, I had to move a bit, if only to draw the bow and I knew that the motion would be seen, but now was the time. My arrow was ready, I just had to draw the bow…………Again with the fiery, explosive pain, up my neck into the skull (not as bad, but bad enough)……….Nausea broils up from my stomach steeling my breath…..

I made the draw, but now I have to shoot before the tears in my eyes blur my vision (Not to mention, if I didn’t shoot I would have to letdown a 78lb pull…..I don’t think I would have survived doing that). Right here in the vid, I had to edit out the hesitation while I waited for the dancing stars to clear from my eyeballs (also wanted to edit out the whimpers and curses). I have to shoot. I have to shoot NOW, before the Buffalo clears the shooting lane…………WHACK……….Clean hit, nice shot too. A little bit higher than I wanted and about 2 ribs back from what I would have considered ideal, but a double lung shot for sure. Pretty damn good under the circumstances. The pain subsides as I kick back and wait for the arrow to do it’s work.

The river of red running out of that Buffalo made tracking a snap, he only made it about 60 yrds anyway. Died about 25 yrds off an old logging road/skidder trail that I didn’t even know was there. Now, I had some work to do…….Normally I like to do the “no jut” method and bone out as much as I can, but that is very hard to do alone, not to mention with a injured neck, so I opted to just gut it and drag it with the Argo to a stand of large trees.
    By now it’s dark out, and I seem to be missing both of my flashlights. Once I get to the trees I make a plan. I have strong rope and a pulley block, I string the rope across between two large trees, with the pulley block hanging in the middle. Now, Argo lights only point in one direction, and that direction is NOT up. I had to do this in the dark. I run my winch line up through the pulley and back down behind the machine, to the Buffalo’s head. With a little trial and error, I manage to hoist the Buffalo up high enough that I can back the Argo under it and lower the whole animal into the back. Time to head home.
    Nothing of much interest happened on the way out, and this is already pretty long, so I will end it here for now.
    Enjoy the Vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6qrFDpRiZk

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Wow, that was pretty cool! Much more interesting than my lamish story
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

WoodOx Guest

Was that a drawn buffalO?

awesome hunt

Nice Buffalo.Very impressive blood trail, no problem finding that guy.Congrats.
    I'm just here to provide moral support......Hey nice (insert animal here)congrats.

In memory of you dad..."you always leave a campsite cleaner then when you found it"

There's only one thing in life that constitutes insanity..... continuing to do the same thing you have been doing but expecting different results.

thats awesome! thanks for sharing
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Very Cool, Rock Doctor!!! Nice Job!!

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

Good shooting. What broadhead did you use, a 2 blade ? Did it hit any ribs ?

I'm going for a buffalo next year if all goes well , with a 50 lb bow .

Hope your neck heals

agaucher;
    Was that a drawn buffalO?
    Sadly, NO
    I never got a draw. This was one of those big Ranches. That's partly why I decided to go with the bow.

Cool video, good work!
    You'll miss 100% of the shots you don't take!