Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Successful Duck Hunt!

First Successful Duck Hunt!

First and foremost, a big two thumbs up for Ian, who generously volunteered his time to take me out today and gave me countless useful advice along the way. Thank you so much Ian!

We started pretty early today, it was still dark out when we launched; after setting up all the dekes it was first light and the hunt began. Lots of birds in the beginning, but I was fumbling with the 870 as it was the first time I used it outside of the range That probably cost me 1-2 birds, and I missed one that was right beside the deke (I thought it WAS the deke!). But lady luck was on my side, and I managed to nail a bufflehead in mid-air (not bad for someone who hasn't done any wingshooting/skeet, eh? Honestly though I'd chalked that one up to beginner's luck haha). Ian continued his fine shooting and bagged 6, a variety of gadwalls and buffleheads. We couldn't find a shot drake mallard (real big too!), but I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles. The rain started to come down hard and we called it a day. Fortunately, as we packed and readied ourselves to leave, I took a coot as well. The kind Ian gave me one of his gadwalls and another bufflehead, so tonight's dinner should be plentiful!

Here are some pics; field pics will come when I receive them from Ian:

(not pictured gadwall in the tub)

Needless to say I'm instantly hooked! Whether a single or a flock flies by, the adrenaline starts pumping! I definitely need more practice, and getting out the field more, just getting my feet wet (no pun intended). Not afraid of making mistakes, only afraid I won't get enough hunting till the season closes!! Next up, B-bay! And once again, cheers for Ian's help, couldn't have done it without ya!

P.S. Anybody who wouldn't mind taking a newb out along, I'm game (again no pun intended). Please PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    You can do it buddy! you're a terrific person inside! (just not on the outside)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First Successful Duck Hunt!

Let me know how those buffleheads taste . Never tried a mud hen either. You'll be happy with the taste of the gadwall. Awesome, looks like you're hooked alright. Duck hunting has to be my all time favorite hunt. Lots of action and just as fun watching the dog get excited retrieving the birds.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

My pleasure Brian, my pleasure!

Not very often these days I get the chance to take someone for their first duck ever, a new species yes.

I think this picture sums at up, one happy camper!

Very best,

Ian

P.S. both buffies and coot are fine, I breast em, not sure roasted whole. As with all birds you can always get an off bird. But buffies on the freshwater are almost always fine.

I had a bad episode with a couple of buffleheads. Find the meat to be like mush when roasted not stringy like a mallard. Hey if he likes them all the power to him, no shortage on them that's for sure. What do the mud hens taste like?

BCWF

Ooh the pic looks fantastic! Thanks Ian!

Both the gadwall and the buffy were roasted in the convection oven with a rub. We had a bunch of people over, most preferred the gadwall, but I'm more of a buffy fan. I had a little bonus in my gadwall breast, the pellet!

The mud hen and another buffy will become soup base for a Chinese soup (usually clear, water-like, not thick like Western soup). The soup will take most of the flavour of the meat, so it should be good soup.

Ya the old man was real interested when he heard my stories, he is definitely thinking of finally getting off his lazy butt and studying for the CORE so he can join me (he has the firearms license). That way, if he's in, then I have an excuse to get more gear

It's an addictive sport and it gets even more addicting when you start using a dog. I have more fun working with the dog then actually shooting the birds.

I didn't do any duck hunting at all last year because I had retired my dog the season before and just couldn't push myself to do it without him. Even now when I gather my hunting stuff to go deer hunting or what have you he follows me around the house at the heal figuring we're going hunting.

The hardest part of duck hunting is trying to find a place to hunt thatr's not over crowded or people sky blasting at ducks that are over 100 yards out. Glad to see you're hooked! After a while you'll be able to tell what kind of duck it is by the sound of the wings, it's call/quack, and it's colors. Then there is goose hunting that's a whole different story.

BCWF

As much as I would like to spend some time to raise/train a hunting dog, I live with my family currently and my brother's allergic, so that's definitely out...

I do plan to get an ID'ing book for waterfowl. I need all the help I can get in that department. I could only tell what's a duck, a sea gull, and a coot. Internet's pretty useful, on the DU site there are duck sounds (weirdest thing to hear on a computer, I know).

Goose hunt would be awesome, back in the old country (well, Hong Kong) we eat geese pretty often, IMO it's better than duck, but I haven't had game geese so that's to be determined.

A field hunt would be a blast (no pun...) too, according to Ian. Easier for retrieval for dog-less/boat-less guys like me.

I didn't get a dog until I was living on my own as well. You've got lots of time and hey if friends will take you out and they've got a dog then all the better

Canada Geese tend to be a bit milder in Flavor then Ducks and you can easily feed 3 or 4 people on one.

BCWF

Congratulations, good to see you were successful and had a great time. I've hunted with Ian and seen his shooting, he's a good shot and I'm sure you learned a lot more about duck hunting than you would on your own even if you hunted a whole season.
    I didn't make it out yesterday but went out today. We had a good day, lots of mallards and a couple gadwal. I'm going to try and get wednesday off...
    Good luck oout at the Bay, let us know how you make out. I hunted out there maybe 25 years ago but didn't know what I was doing and had limited success.
    Dan
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Congrats Brian! Looks like a fun day. Once Deer season is over we'll have to get out.
    Dislexic's everywhere! Untie!!

Member,
    Mission Rod and
    Gun Club.