Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Feral Pigs---Fact or Unicorn?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Port Alberni
    Posts
    8,459

    Arrow Re: Feral Pigs---Fact or Unicorn?

    Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    A wolverine is meaner and more ferocious, sure. But stronger? Unlikely.
    Skin a wolverine once. Have a GOOD look. Then get back to us.

    Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

    Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

    Guess he got to Know me

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northern BC
    Posts
    2,800

    Re: Feral Pigs---Fact or Unicorn?

    Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Skin a wolverine once. Have a GOOD look. Then get back to us.

    Cheers,
    Nog
    Oh I've skinned or seen skinned everything that has a hide in the province...
    And while I am of the mindset that if wolverines could be bred to live in urban areas there wouldn't be a homeless issue anymore and likely crime rates would go way down fairly rapidly due to shitrats not skulking around anymore in the shadows, I don't think the body form on a weasel lends itself to the same magnitude of strength that a hog has. That's all.
    But I'm not really interested in arguing about it because it would likely be easier to prove what happened to Amelia Earhart, so fill ya boots.


  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    1,905

    Re: Feral Pigs---Fact or Unicorn?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    Were you watching the Lion King with the Grandkids?

    Did you notice a talking Meercat?
    Now thats funny...LoL

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Port Alberni
    Posts
    8,459

    Thumbs up Re: Feral Pigs---Fact or Unicorn?

    Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    ... But I'm not really interested in arguing about it because it would likely be easier to prove what happened to Amelia Earhart, so fill ya boots.
    Roger that. Not really "arguing" so much from my end.
    Dealt with a lot of wolverines and pigs in my time.
    My tip of the hat would go to the former, pound for pound.
    But as you say, we will really never know.

    Have a great day!

    Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

    Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

    Guess he got to Know me

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    6

    Re: Feral Pigs---Fact or Unicorn?

    I've seen them in Alberta but never seen here. At one time there were a few AB WMUs where you could send in for a $50 bounty if you could produce a set of ears.

    A friend found a bunch while scouting whitetails and we hunted them periodically. In terms of sign they weren't very subtle. They bombed around spruce swamps leaving tracks like little drunk rototillers. That population made it through a few winters but a serious snowfall did them in; it seems that their short legs couldn't outrun the wolves.

    They were really good eating, tasted something like a pig mixed with a domestic cow. A slow-smoked shoulder yielded tasty pulled boar tacos.

    They were also surprisingly tough. A buddy hit one squarely in the shoulder with a 9.3 and it went another 80 yards before it piled up.

    Can't comment on their origins, but these ones were about 70 pounds on the hoof, mottled colouring and tiny tusks. I'd definitely hunt them again if given the chance.
    BCWF WSSBC DU BHA

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    119

    Re: Feral Pigs---Fact or Unicorn?

    I seen a old global news clip on YouTube about pigs in bc. The clip was a few years old. But it was on Christina lake. I guess they had/have a pig issue. Big enough it made the news. Iím not sure if they hunted them out. But it was an eye opener to how much damage they can do.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lower 48/PG
    Posts
    47

    Re: Feral Pigs---Fact or Unicorn?


  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Changing diapers
    Posts
    855

    Re: Feral Pigs---Fact or Unicorn?

    Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Oh I've skinned or seen skinned everything that has a hide in the province...
    Thanks for all the info Kodiak
    Ever skin a "Field Lion"?
    I have heard there are many ways?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dour View Post
    I seen a old global news clip on YouTube about pigs in bc. The clip was a few years old. But it was on Christina lake. I guess they had/have a pig issue. Big enough it made the news. I’m not sure if they hunted them out. But it was an eye opener to how much damage they can do.
    They must have brought them in to take over security for the "Pot Bears" once their contract was up lol. You know pound for pound their tuffer then them too!

    Have a good one
    Links
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

    "I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Okanagan
    Posts
    13,410

    Re: Feral Pigs---Fact or Unicorn?

    Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    A wolverine is meaner and more ferocious, sure. But stronger? Unlikely. Different body shape, different muscle configuration and density. Pigs are just denser. Hogs are surprisingly heavy for their size. Even a "fat" pig is predominantly muscle with relatively light bone structure. A 300lb hog is physically going to be half the size of a 300lb bear.
    I'll definitely watch the show though if you can round up a wolverine and a young hog of equal weight and figure out a good harness system and set them up tail to tail, tractor pull style though.
    Yupp, depends on how one defines 'strong'
    I bet a wolverine could be folded in half, try that with a pig.
    I remember a story long ago, may even have been in Outdoor Life mag, about how a vehicle hitting a pig on the road could wind up being flipped over, as the pig rolled underneath and when the legs came up they were so stiff they could toss the car up. One for Ripley's maybe.
    Never say 'whoa' in the middle of a mud hole.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    taterville
    Posts
    50

    Re: Feral Pigs---Fact or Unicorn?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dour View Post
    I seen a old global news clip on YouTube about pigs in bc. The clip was a few years old. But it was on Christina lake. I guess they had/have a pig issue. Big enough it made the news. I’m not sure if they hunted them out. But it was an eye opener to how much damage they can do.
    There is a German gentleman outside of Christina Lake that imported European Boars and was raising them back then. He had several escapees that were causing big problems. I have a buddy that smoked one in his wife's garden almost ten years ago. Gave me a shoulder to slow cook.

    Spectacular meat, but not worth the ecological damage that they bring to an ecosystem.
    -Just a simple minded guy with a longbow looking for fun.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •