Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sights and Rest

Sights and Rest

Ok I have finally settled down on a new bow, the Bowtech Allegiance VFT, but i want to put sights and a rest on it. I was wondering if there was any suggestions out there for either of the two. I will be doing some 3d shooting but probably mostly hunting. I liked the whisker biscuit rest because it makes sure the arrow doesn't fall off when stalking or what not. Any suggestions would be great, hopefully I can finish setting it up before it's too far into bear season .
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

2. Site Sponsor

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Re: Sights and Rest

Muzzy Zero Effect Rest, but your sight is going to have to be your own preference.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Thumbs up Re: Sights and Rest

I am by no means an expert on this but it would pick a sight box with really bright fibre optics. I use a cobra box and there are times I wish I had brighter pins. As for the rest I use a conventional fixed cobra rest and have had no trouble. I have seen quite often the drop away rests being out of adjustment throwing the whole bow out of whack. I won a whisper disc, still in the package, but not sure I like the concept. True they hold the shaft while stalking but I think they would impair the spin of the shaft as well as slow the arrow down.
    Just my two cents. Chris can fill you in on every option out there Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

I did some looking around and apparently you only lose like 2-4 fps with the whisker biscuit.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

I just can't seem to wrap my had around the idea of using a whisper biscuit. i try to eliminate ALL contact from my arrow and just can't see myself using one. For good rests there are a ton out there to choose from, i personally like the drop-aways and there are several good ones on the market that will hold your arrow while you stalk and still drop away at the shot. My choice at the moment for a hunting rest is the RIPCORD. There are several others out there with the same concept, but i have been using this one for several years now with out any problems.

http://www.ripcordarrowrest.com/doc/ten.htm

As far as sight boxes go there are many good options out there for those as well. Just depends how much you want to spend. Spott hogg makes a great site, tough as nails with individual adjustment for each pin both up and down and left to right (this is a very nice feature). Copper John makes a good sight and seems to stay in place when you tighten things down on it. Basic cobra sights can be very good on a budget as well. I still have the first one i ever bought and it is still on my hunting bow because it has never ever moved on me unless i wanted it to, very dependable sights in my opinion!

Well theres a start for you to look at anyway! give me a shout if I can help out at all!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Hi Dirty, From what I have seen around here is that the wisker biscuit just has not caught on around in these parts. The group of guys I know all claim the drop away rests are the cats meow, no fleching contact. I still shot fingers and use a center flipper rest, so my opinion would not be to worthy. Refering to sights I'm looking for something different. I still use my PSE RS GLOW. It is a little dated but still is a very reliable sight. I would want a round housing with some bright pins. It will help with your sight picture. Most sight products I believe are relativly the same, break it down what you want from your sight, some my have features that are something you want or don't eg. level. I want one that is very durable that stands up in fall and pins that don't break when moving through the west coast undergrowth. Get yourself some bright pins, Puppychow has got himself one of those new radioactive ones. He says they are bright even in the sun. It all comes down to personal choice.
    Todd

I've got a couple questions about string loops and releases.

First - String Loop - My loop doesn't want to stay in the same place. It twists around and when I draw back my peep sight is not fully in line with my sight.

Second - Releases - What are you guys using?? I have the wrist strap type. Not sure exactly what make. Thinging about going to a Tee Handle style. Anyone use it for hunting??

Any suggestions??

3d bowman

If your peep is the style that does not use peep rubber to align it you will need to put your bow on a press and twist or untwist the string until the peep comes back square. Once that is done you can put your loop on. To do this set up your loop to be straight back as this will also help keep the peep aligned if the string twists or stretches etc. Once you have the loop tied loosely put a decent amount of string wax onto the knots and melt it in VERY CAREFULLY using a basic Bic lighter......again I say VERY CAREFULLY!!!! at this point you can tighten up your knot being sure to keep the loop aligned with the peep. this will keep your loop from turning on the string. As your string stretches you may have to again press the bow and re-align the peep, but with todays string material this should not be an issue.

As for the release question, i use wrist for hunting and t-handle for target. i like the wrist for hunting because its always attached and therefore is never misplaced or lost at a crucial moment. If you do decide to use a T-handle the Tru Ball Pro Diamond is a very quiet, dependable and affordable place to start.

Good luck and feel free to ask any further questions you may have!
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Thanks for the response Chris,

Not sure if I'm brave enough to try the melting wax on the knot thing yet. I have not even tied my own loop onto my string yet. Do stings stretch more then others? I've had my loop shortened because it has stretch and the string twisted a couple of times. And still it moves out of alignment. I may just have to get brave and try this. This is very frustrating to me!!
    As for the release I'm going to look into the Tru Ball Pro Diamond.
    Thanks for the tips. Heard that you might be at Merritt for the 2 & 3 of April?? Let me know and we'll tip back one or more wabblie pops.

3d bowman

Dirty, I am using a W/B because I got sick and tired of the arrow falling off of the rest. (I got bad shoulders and tend to shake after a couple of seconds). As to the W/B slowing down the spin, the arrow won't begin to spin until it hits undisturbed air anyhow, won't it, like just beyond the riser?? I am also getting good service from a Copper Johns's Dead Nuts 5 pin sight.

For you guys talking releases, I am using a TruFire and it works well for me. Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati