Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 76

Thread: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    767

    Re: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

    Most fun you can have with your cloths on. My first experience was sitting beside my father on a slough in southern Alberta at about 2 1/2 years old. Bulrushes rustling in the breeze and the whistling wings on a misty morning, the smell of the marsh and burnt gun powder. Addicted for life.

    Got into dogs and hunting with them at about 12 years old and havenít missed a season since. Iíve seen the prairie migration when the sky was literally 80% obscured with waterfowl in all directions and the noise was such you had a hard time hearing you partner sitting right beside you. One of the true wonders of the world.

    Sitting in the truck right now spotting a bunch for tomorrow. Never tire of it.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Kamloops
    Posts
    534

    Re: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

    Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Most fun you can have with your cloths on. My first experience was sitting beside my father on a slough in southern Alberta at about 2 1/2 years old. Bulrushes rustling in the breeze and the whistling wings on a misty morning, the smell of the marsh and burnt gun powder. Addicted for life.

    Got into dogs and hunting with them at about 12 years old and haven’t missed a season since. I’ve seen the prairie migration when the sky was literally 80% obscured with waterfowl in all directions and the noise was such you had a hard time hearing you partner sitting right beside you. One of the true wonders of the world.

    Sitting in the truck right now spotting a bunch for tomorrow. Never tire of it.
    im actually heading out myself in the morning,,,,,i leave house 5:30 and am fully setup and sitting in blind with cup of Joe ready to wake the morning up by 6:30,,,,,,,rained pretty good yesterday,,,,,so hoping more birds on the move for morning
    Aim small,,miss small

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    668

    Re: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

    Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    im actually heading out myself in the morning,,,,,i leave house 5:30 and am fully setup and sitting in blind with cup of Joe ready to wake the morning up by 6:30,,,,,,,rained pretty good yesterday,,,,,so hoping more birds on the move for morning
    That's a good long wait until legal shooting time,,,,,close to an hour. I start to get antsy if I have to wait any longer than about 15-20 minutes. haha

    Timed it perfectly late last week. We were all set up by 7:00, started shooting at 7:15 and 24 mallards later we were done at 8:05. It was our quickest hunt of the season,,,,,too damn quick, if you ask me! haha

    Last edited by mastercaster; 12-09-2020 at 04:23 PM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Kamloops
    Posts
    534

    Re: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

    Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    That's a good long wait until legal shooting time,,,,,close to an hour. I start to get antsy if I have to wait any longer than about 15-20 minutes. haha

    Timed it perfectly late last week. We were all set up by 7:00, started shooting at 7:15 and 24 mallards later we were done at 8:05. It was our quickest hunt of the season,,,,,too damn quick, if you ask me! haha

    awesome pic,,,,nice bag of birds,,,,,,yup,,,,its a bit of a wait till shooting time,,,,,,but id rather be all setup ready to go just before crack of light,,,,,usually by shooting time i have birds in the set loafing around by bang time,,,,,so there a good chance right at 7:22am ill be stirring up the birds from report of 1st gun shot
    Aim small,,miss small

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Lower Mainland
    Posts
    203

    Re: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

    Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    im actually heading out myself in the morning,,,,,i leave house 5:30 and am fully setup and sitting in blind with cup of Joe ready to wake the morning up by 6:30,,,,,,,rained pretty good yesterday,,,,,so hoping more birds on the move for morning
    I'd do the same B-rad - I'd be too excited to sleep so better to be out early and ready than sitting in the house trying not to wake up the missus. I need to wait a couple of years before I can get a dog - is it possible to do what you're doing without one?
    forever noob

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Kamloops
    Posts
    534

    Re: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

    Quote Originally Posted by boilerroom View Post
    I'd do the same B-rad - I'd be too excited to sleep so better to be out early and ready than sitting in the house trying not to wake up the missus. I need to wait a couple of years before I can get a dog - is it possible to do what you're doing without one?
    I have not used a dog for bird hunting in aprox 26 years,,,,,,,,,,i have a "U" belly boat i stash in the brush for the extreme cases of retreiving birds that are wounded and are wayyyy out to far past my chest,,,,,,i rarely ever use it though,,,,but better to be safe than sorry,,so easier to just bring/stash it,,,,,,,,,,,i mostly use a home made pole/hook,,,,,,,,i bought a used tent from a yard sale,,,,threw the tent out and kept the poles,,,,,,,,,,once the pole is together it gives me an extra 12 yards of reach past my chest depth of water,,,,,,best $5 i ever spent,,,,,,any new water i hunt i do a test walk to see how far out i can get in waders,,,,,and ill set deeks out accordingly,,,,then i know my shooting range
    Aim small,,miss small

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    5-1
    Posts
    251

    Re: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

    Are there still huntable numbers of ducks around later in December? Everything in region 5 is long since frozen over so I havenít seen ducks in my area for a while. Is ice the limiting factor for ducks around Kamloops?

    thanks

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Kamloops
    Posts
    534

    Re: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

    was a decent hunt this morning
    Aim small,,miss small

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Kamloops
    Posts
    534

    Re: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

    Quote Originally Posted by WWBC View Post
    Are there still huntable numbers of ducks around later in December? Everything in region 5 is long since frozen over so I haven’t seen ducks in my area for a while. Is ice the limiting factor for ducks around Kamloops?

    thanks
    the waterfowl season closes well before all our huntable water freezes up,,,,,,depending on cold fronts,,,,,,usually mid january---end january ,,,,,,,,,then goose hunting opens up on March 1st--March 10th,,,,,and alot of the huntable water is well thawed again by then
    Aim small,,miss small

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    668

    Re: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

    Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    was a decent hunt this morning
    Wow! Those ducks don't have a mark on them! You bringing them down with some kind of chemical warfare? Mine on the other hand, often looked like they've been in a war! Blood marks everywhere. haha

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •