Page 98 of 101 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Outdoor Pics - Post them up!

Re: Random Outdoor Pics - Post them up!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Has anyone else on here ever consumed tree cambium? If so, what type of tree, and how much? This is from whitebark pine..Boil it like noodles, or pan fry it? If you ever do this, ensure you're not taking it from a tree that has toxic cambium like Ponderosa pine, or yew for example...and don't ring it from all the way around the tree, this will kill the tree..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The cambium is a great source of starches, vitamins, minerals, natural sugars, and fibre...in conjunction with fir needles, all boiled here, which contain vitamins A and C, it is a very healthy tea and small meal..

[IMG][/IMG]

Did your compass freeze? I always wondered what the liquid in there was.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Did your compass freeze? I always wondered what the liquid in there was.
    I honestly don't know what the liquid is, but it didn't freeze...

Nice pictures Harry ! Never consumed the cambium , but I knew a fella that chewed the sap from pines not Ponderosa as well .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt The Man In The Arena !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Nice pictures Harry ! Never consumed the cambium , but I knew a fella that chewed the sap from pines not Ponderosa as well .
    Arctic Lake
    Cool buddy, ya I've heard the sap is good as well..

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Has anyone else on here ever consumed tree cambium? If so, what type of tree, and how much? This is from whitebark pine..Boil it like noodles, or pan fry it? If you ever do this, ensure you're not taking it from a tree that has toxic cambium like Ponderosa pine, or yew for example...and don't ring it from all the way around the tree, this will kill the tree..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The cambium is a great source of starches, vitamins, minerals, natural sugars, and fibre...in conjunction with fir needles, all boiled here, which contain vitamins A and C, it is a very healthy tea and small meal..

[IMG][/IMG]
    I just read about cambium and other uses of trees in a book I am reading, it is usually taken in early spring time I read? And they mentioned only take from one side or kill the tree like you, can be ground into flour as well

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    I just read about cambium and other uses of trees in a book I am reading, it is usually taken in early spring time I read? And they mentioned only take from one side or kill the tree like you, can be ground into flour as well
    You're right for the most part...it can be consumed at any point, it was a survival food for certain First Nations tribes during the winter as well, though they usually preferred to consume it in the early Spring... certain Scandinavian ppl make Pine bark bread even..

Cheers...

I think this is from 2021. We came pretty close to these two without noticing each other. I think I was as startled as they were.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.