Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share your oven deer jerky recipe with me...

Share your oven deer jerky recipe with me...

Anyone got any? Don't have a smoker or dehydrater, could get one off google I'm sure but.....tried and tested would be better.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Share your oven deer jerky recipe with me...

OTT,

You will just have to buy the HBC cookbook when it comes out. I am pretty sure I included a couple of recipes for Oven jerky in those that I submitted.

yes kaptkannon I believe you did - and the book is going into printing as soon as Marc and I have a cover design we have agreed upon.

Ali

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

I make lazyman Jerky. I buy Eastman jerky seasoning, slice up 5 pounds of meat, mix the two together until the salt and cure have blended into the meat, then put it in the oven at 150-160 degrees F. with the door held open with a big spoon. Wait 5-6 hours or until as dry as you like it. Works everytime. Then I have to beat my son with a stick to keep him away from it.

There are a lot of good recipes, but this is the fastest easiest way I've found to make Jerky.

I have a Lil' Chief smoker and a bigger propane smoker, but I find making Jerky easier with this method. If you want smoke flavour, just add some liquid smoke to your cure mix.
    Last edited by johnes50; 09-26-2007 at 09:43 AM.
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

That oven method sounds easy enough. How long would jerky made that way stay edible? Can/should it be frozen? thanks.

I make mine in a dehydrator...picked one up from Wally World for $40. Works great and can do quite a bit at a time.
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

Quote Originally Posted by johnes50 View Post
    I make lazyman Jerky. I buy Eastman jerky seasoning, slice up 5 pounds of meat, mix the two together until the salt and cure have blended into the meat, then put it in the oven at 150-160 degrees F. with the door held open with a big spoon. Wait 5-6 hours or until as dry as you like it. Works everytime. Then I have to beat my son with a stick to keep him away from it.

There are a lot of good recipes, but this is the fastest easiest way I've found to make Jerky.

I have a Lil' Chief smoker and a bigger propane smoker, but I find making Jerky easier with this method. If you want smoke flavour, just add some liquid smoke to your cure mix.
    I just tried this stuff out last week and it was pretty good... super easy. I always add chilies on top because i like it spicy, but definitely worth the minimal effort.

Try an even mixture of brown sugar, soy sauce, and thai sweet chili sauce

It works really well, marinate it for around 24 hours, then put er in the oven...

or wait for the cookbook, this one will hold you over until it comes out
    Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left. ~Aldo Leopold

This post got me thinking so I did a search on the net. Cooks.com has tons of jerky recipes, oven, dehydrator, and smoker.

I tried one last night with some old round steak (beef) that was in the freezer.
    Off the top of my head it had, soy sauce, worstchier(sp) sauce, ketchup, garlic powder, onion salt, pepper, salt. Let it soak for a couple of hours and then into a dehydrator that I borrowed from a buddy.

This morning up packaged up some yummy jerky to take on our hunting trip in less than a week. Knew there was a reason I bought that vacuum packer!

Cooks.Com had lots of recipes.
    Looking forward to the HuntingBC Cookbook too.

James

I used to marinate my jerky meat in a brine, but now I just mix all the ingredients together until the salt and cure is melted then I immediately throw it in the oven. That way I get same day jerky in one easy step. Plus there's less water to evaporate.

When the meat is dried enough, it is red all the way through, meaning that the cure has completely penetrated through the meat. I usually slice the meat less than 1/4 inch cause it dries faster in the oven and it gives me more slices.

I never had a problem with jerky going bad, just a problem keeping my son from eating it all in two days.
    Last edited by johnes50; 09-27-2007 at 01:14 PM.
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra