Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival saw as a bone saw?

Survival saw as a bone saw?

I was thinking today about an easier way to carry a bone saw, something smaller then a folding gerber one. And i came across this zip saw on the internet http://www.highracksinc.com/zipsaw.asp
    I was wondering if it would be possible to use a typical survival wire saw to cut the pelvis of large game? the tool in the webpage seems very similar to the ones you would get for a survival kit, and they are very small and light and could be beneficial for hunting and survival purposes. Has anyone had experience with something like this?

Rhys
    rhysmccormick@shaw.ca

2. Site Sponsor

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Re: Survival saw as a bone saw?

Pretty snazzy looking rig. I'm sure a survival saw would do the same.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

the gerber saw I use has a blade length of 5.5 in and has 12 cutting teeth it is because of the courseness of this blade that makes it so efficent.I find that because soft tissue right on the bone chest or pelvic, plugs up the teeth on a finer tooth saw.My gerber was cheep [less than 20. dollars] and I have done 6-8 moose with it.And is still sharp. cheers, Steve
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

I have a saw like that I carry in my first aid/ survival kit in my pack, I have used it to cut wood a few times just to check it out and it works well for that.
    Last edited by fester; 01-31-2005 at 09:26 PM.

Wire saws are fine for cutting weenie sticks but wouldn't make it through serious bone. They heat up very quickly and snap easily. There is a similar set up you can buy which uses a chainsaw blade instead of a wire. I was thinking along similar lines a while back, thinking you could modify a proper bone blade to go on a tube buck saw which would do the job superbly, and not be too bulky to carry in a day pack.
    Look Ma, no hands !

I suppose it's good to bring old posts back to life, but 6 years old. Why not start a new post, there could be some new products out by now.

I would like to know if lip rippers saw is still holding up. Mine fell apart in one season. Plastic little pieces broke to rat sh.t.

In a survival situation just Debone with your knife. No need to cut the pelvis.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

i too was looking for a good pelvic bone saw in a local hunting store......and the sales guy told me about this military survival saw his buddy gave him, in which he used on his elk pelvic bone ....same idea just not made by a hunting company........
    The pointed this out to me....
    NEW ARCHERY PRUDUCTS ZIP SAW......I just never got the chance to use it.........sorry cant get the link to work....

I bought a gerber folding saw with a Fine and a corse blade last summer. Used it to cut a ton of fallen trees dirtbikin, a few green ones for shelter poles, and haven't used it to cut bone yet (last season was alot of hiking, with no shooting). I did fall off my dirtbike onto it quite a few times though and it seems to be holding up to the abuse thus far.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Hacksaw
    Cheap light and cuts thru bone like butter