Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: buck fever

buck fever

Now I've never experienced buck fever because I've never had a buck in my cross hairs. But I know the first time I do, I'm going to become an adrenaline pumped mass of quivering uselessness, with a rifle. It's like a freight train that I know is coming but feel powerless to prevent. So any of the experienced guys n gals out there have any tips or strategies that can help me to deal with it when the time comes?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: buck fever

take a couple of deep breaths get a hold of yer nerves and squeeze her off.i shot my first buck a couple of years ago.when i first seen him i kept staring at his rack thinking yes he is a legal four point couldnt really believe it was in front of me.shakin like a leaf took a couple of breaths to settle down and plugged him

Brian, when that feeling stops it's time to take up golf!!!! We've all done it, go slow take your time, if the animal walks, there'll be others. And the memory will always be there.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Talking Re: buck fever

Yes, it is a real problem, and not just some made-up fairy tale. I had it real bad when I was younger and as a result made some stupid blunders.
    My remedy...I talked to myself constantly in my head and finally convinced myself that I could and would remain calm no matter what, and you know it actually worked. In fact it worked so well, that now nothing at all excites me anymore.....she said.

It's a natural feeling that I dont think ever passes but it will lesson with every animal.My wife has hunted for four years now and she is just started really relaxing with it as last year she took a 170 class mule deer.

I never had that problem. I remember my first buck. It is still the biggest I've taken. I had never shot any game before that deer. I took two shots, either one would have killed him. He fell 20' from where I shot him. I didnt, and still dont, experience that adrenaline rush "buck fever" until after I took the shot.
    All I can say is practice lots and have confidance.......you will do fine. Good luck.

Brian, these guys are right. Practice lots to build up confindence, walk slow, and train yourself to not get excited untill afterwards. I really had to put this test when I first started bow hunting.

I've had it a couple of times. I missed a deer and a moose and when I was done and thought about it the only excuse for missing these shots was buck fever (or moose fever). Try not to get to carried away and take your time. If a person rushes everything and wounds an animal that gets away there isn't much of a worse feeling.

Practice shooting at the range, not on a bench , but from shooting sticks, etc

l hope that adrenalin rush never leaves! That said....practice until you get to the point you never have to think about whether you can hit what your shooting at or not. Your skill will carry you through in spite of the emotional rush. Another thing l do is concentrate exactly where l am going to place my shot, l find it helps from being distracted ogling head gear.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire