Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed pt 2

Advice needed pt 2

Like I've said ealier I have a Marlin guide gun in 45/70. I just love the thing and I handload for it now. The gun is very accurate and is a deffinate stopper. Easy to cary through thick woods with a little 18.5in barrel all in a 7lb package.
    What I was wondering was among you seasoned Moose hunters is what is your ave shot that you;ve taken moose with? THis is a 200yrd gun max.. It will kill about as far as one could place a bullet but there is a hellofa lotta drop with this thing. So 200yrds is max for me. I know moose are big and I have good target for sure, just curious about the range most guys shoot them at.
    Canadian Outdoorsman: Big Bore Levergun Lover.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Advice needed pt 2

u wont be going out to far past 200 yards...u get closer to moose or u can bring them in pretty easy...moose are pretty stupid creatures...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

Quote Originally Posted by 3killslookin4more
    u get closer to moose or u can bring them in pretty easy...moose are pretty stupid creatures...
    Darcy.....for your sake I hope there are no moose on this forum.

hey seabass,its hard to say what the average shot is,it just depends how far of a shot you don't wanna take,usually when your hunting them in the rut you can get the moose to come as close as 40yrds,i'd say between 100-200yrds would be an average shot though.If your confident at 200yrds with your 45/70 ,fire away.Where ya going moose hunting if don't mind me asking?

Post Re: Advice needed pt 2

I have shot three moose, one @ 120 yards, one @ 80 yards, one @ 130 yards. Average is 110.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

[QUOTE=Where ya going moose hunting if don't mind me asking?[/QUOTE]
    Haven't decided yet. My partner and I are still deiscussing the matter and I am continuing my research on places to go. Thus the most likely area to bring home moose meat.
    Canadian Outdoorsman: Big Bore Levergun Lover.

if u know u can comfortably kill out to 200 yards with ur 45/70 use it but if u can use this as an excuse to buy a new rifle thats what i would do lol
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

From my experience, 200 yrds would look after the majority of the moose l have shot. Your 45/70 would be a great choice for swamp donkeys......
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

Hey Bass I haven't had a shot yet over 100 yrds but am very comfortable with my GG out to 200yrds with the 350 gr hornady and re7 powder. Good luck.
    It is easier to get forgivness than it is permission.

It has been pointed out to us that the proper number to consider in the event of violent aggression is "911"- if you are of the rabbit people. Others will do better to place their faith in the number "1911".

Just my humble opinion, but unless you are trophy hunting for monster swampdonkeys up north then I would say that your max shot would most likely not be more than 150 yards. As for guns, I prefer a 30-06 as I can handload it to hunt anything from varmits to griz. As long as you are comfortable with the 45/70 there is no need to change, although our good buddy amphibious would like to tell you otherwise. He lives by the code "go big or go home". As for hunting area, anywhere north of Williams Lake as long as you have an LEH. Last year here in Quesnel we dropped 3 moose in 3 days. Contrary to what the treehuggers would like to tell you, there are a ton of moose out there.
    Chris
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!