Thread: Goat and Sheep

Goat and Sheep

I am from Sask, me and a buddy want to go on a sheep?goat hunt. we will be sponsored buy a coupl of buddies of his . he said we would probably go around the Wilkinson Lake area zone 7-38 ish anybody no what the goat prospects are up there. i would prefer to take a goat just because the license is cheaper and I only want to buy one tag. i will save my sheep for naother time. also what type gun should I use 25/06, 30/06, 270 wsm, 300 mag, 7mm mag> I want agun that will give me some measure of protection just in case i happen across a grizz or other critters that may want to eat me hahaha.

2. Site Sponsor

Post Re: Goat and Sheep

any of the cartridges you listed would be a good pick for goat, of course the 30-06/300 Mag would be best for a bear encounter when loaded with 200-220 gr. bullets.

7mm Mag or 270 WSM would be my pick for goats out of what you listed.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Re: Goat and Sheep

Any of those will put ya down painlessly before a grizz would!
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

Hey Tinman

Does you buddies buddies need anymore buddies? This sponsorship thing you got going on is a pretty good thing.heheheheh
    Hunt with your eyes...save your legs for draggin....

Hey everybody, I'm new here but I recognize some names from other forums.

Tinman, I think you and your friend will have to settle for a goat hunt anyway. The BC govt. doesn't issue permits to accompany for sheep hunters or Grizzly hunters. You'd be better off with a goat/moose combo or goat/caribou.

I'm working on a mountain goat study up in the Williston that you are talking about. There are a few goats around.

As Butcher mentioned .... you will not be allowed to hunt or shoot sheep and grizzly.

Tinman , i had worked as a initial attack fire fighter for the bcfs for several years in that area and managed to gps a few areas that we flew over. Grizz were always in the grass basins while the goats were high in the rocks above. 10-4 that you can't get a grizz tag, but that shouldn't stop you if your shooting to save your hide. keep a clean camp, get the heck out as soon as you can,( p.s take a look over your shoulder from time to time.) i will be in that area this sept and can keep you posted on goat populations. friends dad is a wildlife bio in ft, st john. we ever meet up you will owe me a rum and some hunting stories. not the story about the windshield vrs the shotgun heard it. hehehe

I wasnt going to try and get a tag for a Grizz, i just wanted to know what type gun I should have in case I happen to meet up with one that maybe thought I may look good for dinner. Thanks though for all your advice guys

pound for pound i'd rate a goat as tougher than a g-bear to kill i've shot both

after my last goat my buddy said were lucky those things don't go 600lbs and
    eat people go with the 300

Any of those calibers will stop a Grizz. If you asked which one to avoid my advice would be avoid the 7mm Mag.. And I can't speak for the 25-06. I shot a black bear with one and it was a heart shot. Other than that I have no experience with them.

=keith=