Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Black Bears Territorial?

Are Black Bears Territorial?

I was just wondering if anyone knows how territorial black bears are? Do they hang around in the same area or do they travel all over the place? Last year I was with my grandpa on our way to Prince George on a moose trip and we saw a gigantic black bear. We were a lil ways past Quesnel when he said he saw a moose in a field. As we gradually got closer we realized that it was a black bear. He said it was the biggest black bear he has ever seen and he has hunted for 40 years. The thing was huge, it walked like the bear from the jungle book, and slowly sauntered towards the bush. Do you think it would hang around the same area?
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

2. Site Sponsor

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Re: Are Black Bears Territorial?

They are definitely territorial. If Bone-collector wasn't around I would probably say more but I might get some wrong . He will fill in the rest.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Yes, they are territorial, but it depends on the time of year you saw it too.

They do tend to wander from their territory when the salmon are running.

The one I shot in my carport last year was sure planning on sticking around.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!!!

Like Thundersticks said already Rob will be the best source for bear info, but from what I've seen if you look in the same spot often enough you'll likely meet him again. I've been seeing sign of a bear in the merrit area for three years in the same spot, even had him do an end run on me once. I know he's the same bear he's got 6 toes on his right front foot.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Bears are without a doubt territorial. Unless somethign happens that makes them leave thier area, they stay in the same area, although thier zone can be quite large.

Grizzlies seem to have larger areas than blacks. They put alot of miles on, and thier range can include several drainages.

I have been watchign the same black bear that lives about 500 metres form my house for years. He's always around somewhere.

There is a bear researcher in Whistler that has about 10 years of documentation of a dozen or so bears in the Whistler Valley. They are always in a similar place.

If you see a bear in one field, chances are he's going to show up there again.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

The bear I shot this year in sept was one I had seen ealier in the spring time(may ish) that I had come close to getting a shot off.
    It was spring time when I was glassing from up high and spotted the sucker a mile away. I got down to where I could see him rubbing himself against some trees standing up pushing them over acting very much like a bear. I got my gun on a rest (stump) but as I peered down my scope he dissapered into the heavy timber.
    Now I guess I gotta tell the story again!
    Months later it was Sept. I was on my way to shoot some pop cans when I passed through the same area I had seen the brute that had alluded me. I pondered if he was around and decided to go for a walk. I walked into the timber doubtful if he was around. Then I noticed a great big crap I almost steped in. "Yup, he's here!!" I said to myself. I quickly levered a round into the chamber of my 45/70 guide gun. I entered into the dark timber beyond the treeline and was astonished at what I saw. "This was his bloody living room" I thought to myself, tracks, trails, fresh sign, ripped up stumps everywhere. (It was if he was waiting for me from the last point I had seen him earlier months before.) I made my way through the tall ferns that severley limited my vision. I was making a horrible nosies stepping on branchs I cound't see, cringing everytime I did so. Then I heard noise. I heard the same noise I was making echoing in the dark timber somewhere around me. (I asked myself at this time why I just hadn't gone out with that girl for coffee that I was supoosed to do this morning. Or why I hadn't taken up tennis or something other than carnivor hunting.) So now I could hear him and he could hear me among tall vegitaion up to my chest. But cound not see each other!!...swell. Then on the only ridge in this little valley he appeared. Not 50 yrds away. He looked in my direction and I in his. I shouldered my gun and touched off. A 350 Hornady rn @ 2000fps did the trick. Right behind the shoulder through a couple of ribs and Bobs your uncle. A Bear tag filled. He's in my freezer and on my wall, a nice 6footer.
    I really meant for this to be a short post but.... Yeah I guess they are territorial
    Last edited by Seabass; 01-11-2005 at 12:45 AM.
    Canadian Outdoorsman: Big Bore Levergun Lover.

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Very good short and to the point post Seabass It was actually a good story.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

The C.O`s livetrapped a huge old boar grizz up in Hazelton a few years ago at the dump and took him up past Meziadin Lake,about 160 miles away and he was back in town 10 days later.

The way I read it, bears have a 'home territory' but not to the point of exclusion of other bears. They tend to mark out an area with scent and sign posts and will fight other bears. This may drive off the lesser bears to look for another 'territory' or just send them around the nearest bush to a safe distance. This goes for blacks and grizz, though grizz do have a larger home. If you take time to watch, most small bears are very skittish, aware of their surroundings, not wanting to get beat up. When you see the brute that wanders about as though he 'doesn't-give-a-shit, I'm the toughest', chances are he is the best trophy in that area