Thread: Ft. St. James Question

Ft. St. James Question

I am wondering about the area East of Stewart Lake. I should imagine that the Moose population is fairly healthy, but how about Elk. Also wondering if there are both White tail and Mulies there.
    The reason I ask is that a friend of mine moved up there several years ago and I hardly ever hear from him. A trip up there to hunt would give me the excuse I need to drop in on him and gross him out once more. Fred

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ft. St. James Question

What, no one knows or at least have an opinion? Fred

I know a young guy that has hunted up there for a few years, took a calf last year, I'll ask him at work the next time I see him.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I live pretty close (within an hour) but never hunt up there. Should have healthy moose populations and elk numbers should be increasing. A 6pt bull season has been a success the first two years here. I am sure there is a few deer out in the bush but numbers would surely be higher the closer you get to agriculture areas.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

A nieghbour of mine works in this area building roads for logging he has told me that there is a lot of moose he has also seen quite a few caribou in the higher elevations. He normally works between ft st james and the williston lake around ingineka(sp) He tells me of his sightings every time he comes home on breaks every two weeks.

I flew out of Ft StJames this year to guide for moose. I don't know about right in Ft St James but where I was there were lots!
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

Post Re: Ft. St. James Question

All summer I worked in a mining exploration camp 6 hrs drive north of Ft. St. James. Never saw a moose or caribou in the flesh all summer.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Guys, thank you for the replys. My old friend lives on Stewart lake road a mile or 2 off of the highway. He has about 60 acres there the last I heard. I was thinking of combining a visit with a hunt to the area. Fred

Hey Fred i hunted the stewart river once in a jet boat. We were succesful on mulies and black bear but the moose were scarse . Lots of G-bear!